java4k.com website is down

Yea, I should have done that initially. I found the problem, the java plugin is doing get on this:
GET /applet.php.pack.gz?gid=448

when it should be doing get on this:
GET /applet.php?gid=448

It is appending that “.pack.gz” to the url.

Here’s the applet object code:

<object code="F.class" archive="applet.php?gid=448" width="800" height="600" type="application/x-java-applet;version=1.5">
<param name="java_arguments" value="-Djnlp.packEnabled=true" />
<param name="cache_option" value="no">
</object>

So… another question why does this work differently between servers?

Clientside Java has always been unreliable and radically different/bugged with every minor update…

Just keep in mind that now it works on your computer, you probably broke it for everybody else :slight_smile:

Oh god, I’m gonna shoot myself if that happened :o

At least it works with the most recent JRE, which I have, so all good ;D

had to be set to:

Makes sense?

ANYWAY… all fixed now… darn tough to figure this out. Applets are clearly not very portable, and the deployment procedure is an annoying pain.

Clientside Java has always been unreliable and radically different/bugged with every minor update…

Just keep in mind that now it works on your computer, you probably broke it for everybody else :slight_smile:

Looks like I am the only one who insane here.

Oh god, I’m gonna shoot myself if that happened :o

At least it works with the most recent JRE, which I have, so all good ;D

Looks like I am the only one who insane here.

Hmmm, seems like Oracle’s stand on Applets has gone from bad to worse. It is slightly off-topic, but depending on how far back they’ve blocked applets this could single-handedly destroy Java4K. Every time I feel good about Oracle’s advancements to the platform, something like this always pops up. (Not that it’ll affect a lot of you who disabled it by default anyway :stuck_out_tongue: ).

Hmmm, seems like Oracle’s stand on Applets has gone from bad to worse. It is slightly off-topic, but depending on how far back they’ve blocked applets this could single-handedly destroy Java4K. Every time I feel good about Oracle’s advancements to the platform, something like this always pops up. (Not that it’ll affect a lot of you who disabled it by default anyway :stuck_out_tongue: ).

We need an alternate plugin, something like webstart, but with the requirement that it’d be reliable.

We need an alternate plugin, something like webstart, but with the requirement that it’d be reliable.

My experience with both applets and webstart is this:

• Horrifying portability
  • Does not work in later updates of java
  • Always some problem getting to work because of hefty deployment configuration xml and server headers
  • CACHING issues can cause you to cry
  • LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF POP-UPS
  • And if you want to do anything half decent, you need unrestricted access to the end-user PC.
  • Signing issues, expires
  • Missing dependency libraries

But Java is great otherwise, although I’ve been writing probably lots more javascript code in nodejs than Java code.

My experience with both applets and webstart is this:

• Horrifying portability
  • Does not work in later updates of java
  • Always some problem getting to work because of hefty deployment configuration xml and server headers
  • CACHING issues can cause you to cry
  • LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF POP-UPS
  • And if you want to do anything half decent, you need unrestricted access to the end-user PC.
  • Signing issues, expires
  • Missing dependency libraries

But Java is great otherwise, although I’ve been writing probably lots more javascript code in nodejs than Java code.

http://error404.000webhost.com/cpu-limit-reached.html

java4K reached server bandwidth limits :point: :persecutioncomplex:

http://error404.000webhost.com/cpu-limit-reached.html

java4K reached server bandwidth limits :point: :persecutioncomplex:

victim of our own success :stuck_out_tongue:

I wonder how java4k.com can hit CPU caps in ‘low season’ …

victim of our own success :stuck_out_tongue:

I wonder how java4k.com can hit CPU caps in ‘low season’ …