Java4K 2013!

Alright, I think we have a consensus, lwjgl is excluded. Let’s keep 4k pure java 7.

I agree that LWJGL should not be included in the Java4k, though I’ve nothing against it being used for a separate contest (I do love LWJGL). :slight_smile:

With that said… Java4k! Yay! It’s almost that time of the year - the time when show falls outside your window, jingle bells are sounding from afar, and tiny little programs crawl out from their hiding places. December, I’ve missed you.

[philosophical]

Stravinsky once wrote that he could only be creative by working within strict constraints:

“My freedom consists in my moving about within the narrow frame that I have assigned myself for each one of my undertakings.”

[/philosophical]

Hi,
i came across java4k this weekend and thought it would be a fun opportunity
to learn some Java.

A quick question though:
The rules from last year stated, that JNLPs are disallowed.
This only applies to the downloadable files, right?

I haven’t found another method to launch a JavaFX application other than:

<applet code="dummy.class" width="800" height="600">
    <param name="type" value="application/x-java-applet">
    <param name="jnlp_embedded" value="@@base64_encode(jnlpfile)@@">
    <param name="javafx_version" value="2.2+">
</applet>

That would be ok, wouldn’t it?

So long,
Maik

As long as it’s an applet on the webpage and requires only the JRE to run, then it fits the criteria.

Custom applet html tags are ok, as long as they only execute the game and don’t bundle data.

Ah, thanks appel for the clarification.
So what version of the JRE should I assume?

The JavaFX runtime is bundled in JRE 7u6 and newer.

Is it safe to use JavaFX?

Well, we are aiming for JRE 7.

I don’t recall that JavaFX was available on Linux yet, was it?

Cas :slight_smile:

JavaFX 2.2 is available on all 3 major platforms, from JDK7u6 and up.

Nice :slight_smile:

Cas :slight_smile:

So, I assume this is a “yes”.

Oracle’s version works for me without major problems.

If it’s official 1.7 then it’s in.

Sadly, Java 7 does not work on Chrome on most Macs:

[quote]Chrome does not support Java 7. Java 7 runs only on 64-bit browsers and Chrome is a 32-bit browser.

If you download Java 7, you will not be able to run Java content in Chrome and will need to use a 64-bit browser (such as Safari or Firefox) to run Java content within a browser. Additionally, installing Java 7 will disable the ability to use Apple Java 6 on your system.
[/quote]
I also can’t install JDK 7 since it requires OSX Lion (10.7.3). I guess it’s time I pay for that update… :-\

By the way when are the games actually due? I’m sure it’s online somewhere but I’m too lazy to look…

The last day of Feb 2013, is last day to submit

Why not targeting 1.6 at least ?
Even I, a java developer, have not updated my java to 1.7 yet because I’m lazy. Now imagine “normal people”.

And as others stated, it might have problems with Macs.

I believe 1.6 has been the target JRE for 2011 and 2012, and it’s very close to being officially an obsolete version of Java (end of support). 1.7 is the current. If 1.6 would continue to be the target jre, that means the contest has moved only 2 versions in 10 years, from 1.4 to 1.6. Now… THAT’S conservative.

Java4k is also a dev-oriented contest, where devs can make experiments, prototypes, try out new things and stuff, rather than focusing on end-user compatibility across all platforms. And I’d like to do something new every year, let it be 1.7 this year.
Surely if Java4k was something as popular as Kongregate or Facebook, then the target jre would probably be 1.5.

Nobody is forbidding you making your game 1.6 compatible. If you wish to use the 1.7 features then you can do that, but there’s no guarantee everyone will be able to run it, but that doesn’t affect the judging. Maybe we could recommend that devs make their games 1.6 compatible rather than forcing them.

And frankly, I think there’s more of a chance people don’t even have java at all than they would have 1.6.

Thank the gods of atheism…I thought I would have to pull an all-nighter…

7? only has the JRE ;D

Everything is almost ready on the site, just have to iron out the submissions.
But it’s too late here, so I’ll open when I wake up tomorrow, Dec 1st. So if you’re staying tuned right now, get some sleep, it’ll open tomorrow.