it just brings back memories

For those who don’t know, for the past 6 months or so I’ve been trying to find all of the old 4K games from the previous contests. I also read somewhere that writing pacman in 4K was impossible (it was in reply to this blog).

well, it was done in J4K #2:

http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~gyvermac/classes/pac/opt/Pacman.html

it’s pretty impressive considering it weighs in at only 3.8k. someone up for writing a better one? :wink:

[quote=“woogley,post:1,topic:25934”]
Somebody lied. Given the technology we have on hand, a pacman in 4K would be simple to do. You might even be able to fit a few sound effects. I’ve considered doing it before, but I just didn’t think it would be all that impressive. Fitting Dig Dug into 4K would have people ooing and ahhing. But Pacman? Pff, the original game wasn’t much larger than 4K to begin with. :slight_smile:

lol, Dig Dug is a pretty good idea for a 4K challenge.

I wish I could find the post where someone said “pacman is impossible to fit into 4K!” - I think it was on the Sun forums. when I heard them say that I kinda raised my eyebrow at it to begin with, but in some weird unconscious way it made me want to write a pacman4K… o_O!

BTW, this game should dispell any remaining doubts about whether a PacMan is doable or not.

It is possible. My Lady bug game is very similar to pack man. With even more complexity as the maze changes as the player moves.

that pacman clones ai is borked, not that its a bad game for its year it may have been good, but just seen too many nicer 4k games, this years bad sector 4k has very nice ai and better gameplay.