Is Slick2D still recommended or is libgdx the way to go?

+1. Still I do like libgdx though, would recommend

I’ve switched from my current project (a space strategy thingy) from Slick2D to LibGDX, for the reasons mentioned in this thread. Slick2D is a bit easier to get started with, but will eventually make your life a bit more difficult because some things are a bit buggy or incomplete.

I think LibGDX is a bit harder to get into, mostly because you need just a little more understanding of OpenGL. Once you get the basics, however, it’s pretty much a breeze to use, and the documentation / help that is available was pretty OK for me. It’s clear that a lot of love has gone into this library, it’s being well maintained, and it has a lot of potential indeed. It’s pretty awesome to write a little game and see it work on android, pc and other platforms with the press of a button.

Setting up the library for use was really easy, there’s plenty of guidance and the setup tool was wonderful, it Just Works. The thing I’ve been struggling with the most was the camera, and the coordinate system. Not because these things are bad, but rather because documentation and usage of the camera and coordinate system presupposes some understanding of OpenGL which I didn’t have. The OpenGL Super Bible helped in that respect, however.