Image Splitter

I ran into a minor problem that bugged me a lot. When working on my graphics I like to have everything in a sprite sheet, but to continue working with the images, I often needed to split them up in single images, which I had to do by hand everytime I changed something in the spritesheet. That bothered me so I’ve written a small tool which I could use from the command line (batch files FTW ;)) to do this task for me. So basically it is the opposite of a texture packer.

Short disclaimer: I didn’t do a long research to find other tools that could do this and the funcitonality covers exactly what I needed and nothing more, hence it only supports the png file format.

You can grab the code from github: https://github.com/tomvangreen/ImageSplitter/

There is also a short documentation of how to use the tool.

It is really not that big of a thing, but it improved my workflow in the content pipeline (and I’m not good at graphics, I’m a programmer). Maybe someone else could also profit from it :wink:

I have used the splitter to work on my bot :wink: Here is the spritesheet with my graphics in 32x32 tiles:

With the correct parameters, it will take the image and export all non empty tiles to my spine working directory: