Hydro Hydra - 2nd Dive

Got 12 tentacles with 65 segments. I fail to see what having more segments and tentacles actually do though.

Tip for “leveling”: Just get the reduced poison damage from green ability and eat greens and purples. A big green can give you a whole segment while the poison is not even doing a fraction of the damage it heals (if any at all). When you have 65 segments though you start to “randomly” die because you have 10 parasites on your tails 2 screens away… >_>

The game has been released on the Chrome Web Store. You can buy it here: Hydro Hydra - 2nd Dive

http://blastingpixels.com/Projects/HydroHydraEvolution/screenshots/TeaserBanner02.png

A big thanks to everyone for helping me reach my first commercial game release :smiley:

I’ll be very grateful for every purchase, rating, like, +1, comment and so on :smiley:

• Scarzzurs

congratulations! hmm, didnt know people sold games on the webstore? can you do us/me a favor and keep us posted on success and viability of webstore? thanks :).

kudos :slight_smile:

What’s the difference between this version and the one you posted in the past, if any?

Mike

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Hmm, I have very low expectations.
However should I sell one or more copies, I’ll probably be to proud not to talk about it anyways :smiley:

It’s the same jnlp, which means both auto-update to the same game version… :slight_smile:

However the updated version does contain:

• Some minor tweaks
  • Performance boost
  • Parasite notification
  • Instant “clear data”

Nothing really game changing… :slight_smile:

However, if the game gets some interest, I might add another creature/stage.
I’m also considering porting to android (which should be simple, if performance is adequate)

• Scarzzurs

So, while I DID sell “one or more copies”, it is not exactly because I’m proud I’m going to put this down, but:

Here are some things I have learned:

1. You don’t get ANY advertisement for free:
    The Chrome Web Store does not favour new games in any way, so if you’re not Big Game Company™, you get no downloads just because you’re in the store.
    I can scroll the game category for minutes without finding my game. All in all the store is pretty much just a payment method (that requires a certain browser) for me right now…

2. Direct download of .jnlp is a bad idea:
    The store is made for websites or things that appear that way. This means that not only does it seem weird to the user when you instead supply them with a jnlp, but there are some problems that seem to have gone unnoticed: Sometimes the jnlp download disappears after you have clicked the app in the browser, leaving only the browser unsafe download security dialog. My solution to this problem is to simple redirect the user to a download page on my website, where I can then explain what’s going on to the user. It is my hope to add the game as an applet on this page directly, but I seem to have struck a lwjgl bug with this approach.

Finally the part you have all been waiting for:

Was it worth it?!:
Yes and no.
On the positive side the store serves as payment method for my game, leaving me without many worries. It was also good to experience actually selling a game for the first time, no matter how ridiculous the sales count is.
On the other hand, I have sold only 3(!) copies after two days in the store, and all was from reletives / friends. This means I have almost broken even, in terms of the one-time payment you have to make, but so far, I actually LOST money, when taxes are collected. Hopefully this will change in the future, but my expectation are lower than ever now :frowning:

I’m still very much considering direct payment from my own website, but that depends on the hassle I have to go through and the time I have at hand…

I hope my experience has come in handy for someone else…

• Scarzzurs

I’d try add the game to a few more portals (just throw it at all of them until it sticks somewhere :)), Desura, Indievania, Gameolith and GamersGate seem like nice targets for small indie devs, some other targets for LWJGL games available here.

Ah thanks for the list, I’ll give it a try :slight_smile:
A non browser-specific payment method would be really nice.

• Scarzzurs