How long will the site be alive?

We all know that it’s quiet in here for a long time Gosh, it's quiet in here
I don’t know how long will the site be alive. Can we get a site dump like in this comment? Gosh, it's quiet in here. The link in that comment is not working.
Most people are not interested in making games in Java, but I like to making stuff in it and I don’t want to lose all of this useful things in this site.

It’s ticking over nicely, and occasionally something pops up. Mostly this is the site dump. A lot of discussion has moved to Discord these days, which is a general “problem” with all internet forums.

2 Likes

@princec This site doesn’t have a discord server right? I’m using libGdx they have their own official discord servers, is there any other discord server you can recommend me to use?

It has Welcome to Discourse

I still prefer coding in Java over JavaScript/TypeScript. That’s why I compile my game from Java to JavaScript using GWT. However, the performance isn’t great, as it needs to emulate a bunch of things that Java supports, and JS doesn’t. And JS isn’t that performant to begin with.

If I was starting a web game from scratch, I’d probably learn C# and compile to WASM.

As soon as WASM supports garbage collection, Java to WASM compilation will be viable, and I feel like there will be more interest in Java game development, bringing more interest to this site.

2 Likes

GWT failed for me because it is not working with Scala (crosscompiling java to js - not bytecode). If anyone is also making games in Scala (2-3 ppl maybe xD) - try Scala.js.

My Scala game from GMTK Game Jam (Scala.js + PixiJS):

Previously it was LibGDX + Scala (desktop), but I rewrote it after seeing that nobody want to play desktop games on game jams.

1 Like