HexoDama

My second entry this year, developed today (thanks for these free days from work!!)

It’s still WIP, and I need feedback to make the controls more intuitive.

To remove gems you need to order the gems in rows of 4 or more inside the hexagon.

Final Version: new graphics and new combo system.
WebStart
Executable Jar

Version 2: corrected bugs, and new control scheme
Executable Jar
Version 1: Beta
Executable Jar

First Feedback:
A minor Graphics-Bug: when restarting there are two “triplets” outside the hex.

Time: Time is up really fast, maybe there is an chance to gather some time on every succesfull removal.

Controls: Yeah it’s really not that intuitiv, mouse could be more intuitive. Just an Idea: A “Circle” around the hex, where every degree equals an “triplet”-position around the hex. Don’t know if this fits into 4k.

holding down left and down at the same time produces massive graphic bugs.

Very cool idea, and works well. Like a little bejeweled reproduction with a new twist.

There comes the second version:

WebStart
Executable Jar

The next bugs where corrected, also the game has a new control scheme.

Didn’t lock the movement with the swap controls, now is OK

Didn’t clean the data at restart, now is OK

The code was substracting time when doing less than X3 bonus, now it gives 5 second for each removed group.

Still looking for feedback for the control/gameplay, comments and critics really welcome

This is conceptually pretty cool! There are a few problems, however:

1. The movement could really use some smoothing. The “choppy” nature that comes with moving big things tile by tile makes it feel somewhat sluggish.
  2. When you pass a corner of the hexagon, the direction changes rather arbitrarily (and not the same way each time you pass the corner).

Final version of Hexodama.

WebStart
Executable Jar

Changed the graphics and the combo system.

Now the gems are hexagons.

New combo system: The player has time to make combos before the gems are removed. You can add gems to a line, make new lines, anything to make more combos (and get more time), the only condition is to have at least one new gem (a gem not activated) in the line to be considered combo.

I have no answer for the problem (1), the model does’nt allow fractional movement of the “rows”.

The problem(2) was resolved, now the direction changes always the same way, It also resolved the problem of the angle change with the ‘A’ key.

Very cool mechanic. I like the trail as you move the gems.

Interesting puzzle concept. I like the fade effect used when moving around. The puzzle is way too difficult to solve. This should be a relaxing solitaire-type game, but instead, it’s just too confusing to play.