Hello gang! Hope all is well! - Missing JGO

Hey there gang! Was doing some work recently for a game lecture and was pulling up information and posts from the past here to use and was thinking back to how this all started 16 years ago. Feeling a bit nostalgic and just wanted to say how happy I am that the community is still engaged and awesome!

Will make it a point to start frequenting more, even if mostly in lurker mode :wink:

Yay JGO!

Hi Chris! Back then, I used to wonder how one could possibly not have enough time to maintain a forum… Now I feel realife slowly creepin’ in :slight_smile:

Having said that, what have you been up to lately?

Hey Chris! Long time no see!

Dat join date… Welcome back!

Heh heh…now you understand :wink:

Back in the day, what many people don’t realize, is that me and Jeff were the only two people in Sun focused on games for a couple of years. All of the internal work, external partnerships, standing up JGO, maintaining, building demos, procuring systems for GDC and building them in my basement, building booths for trade shows, writing copy for all PR and docs, creating all graphics, logos, legal work, presentations at trade shows, etc. JGO was one piece of a TON of moving parts.

In fact, for years, JGO was hosted on a single system that we pieced together, hid in the corner of a lab, and was running with a wonky cooler on the CPU. We hoped that the maintenance staff wouldn’t accidentally knock the power strip out of the wall when the cleaned the lab each week. ;D

Once we proved our concepts, we brought on additional staff, but it was still brutal.

Oh, and I manages all of this while living on the East Coast and Jeff on the West Coast. Crazy, wonderful, stress fueled days!

Still such a shame they didn’t have the vision to back you up :frowning:

Cas :slight_smile:

especially considering the massive and broad success of a game both written in java and mentioned on the site well before its popularity…

Iv’e been here nearly 2 years and I’m still a nub.