having issues with slick2d AngelCodeFont

I followed the on the slick website to create a tetris clone. The code was a bit off and needed some adjustments. To render the players score, it uses the TrueTypeFont class, which is now depricated. After google searching, I found a suggestion to use the AngelCodeFont, and to create a font file using a tool called Hiero. I created the file, and setup the code, however my text seems to render quite funny or not at all. By funny, I mean it almost looks as if it’s too big, and is cut off for where i placed it. I used 12px Arial font, and no luck. Here’s a screen of what I am experiencing:

Imgur

Any suggestions? Here’s how im using the AngelCodeFont class:

Heh, you can take a screenshot by pressing ctrl+printscreen or ctrl+alt+printscreen, then paste into Paint.

What is wrong with the text in your shot of the screen? Looks fine to me.

If you add effects in Hiero, you may need to account for them by adding padding around the glyphs. Add only enough padding so your effects are not clipped. The padding likely makes for too much space between your glyphs. Compensate by adding negative x advance equal to the negative sum of the left and right padding, and negative y advance equal to the negative sum of the top and bottom padding. Review your glyphs on the sample text rendering and the glyph cache to verify they render correctly and are not clipped, then save your BMFont files for use with AngelCodeFont.

The clarify, the words Next and Score are part of the image used for the backround. That polygon of light gray in the score box is supposed to be a number. I’ll review my font file as well as you suggested, I don’t think I selected any effects, but there may be some by default or something.

In Hiero, you need at least one effect, usually “color”, else nothing will be rendered.

You pass “gameHUD” to the AngelCodeFont constructor. This should be a String like “resources/Arial10.png”.

Ahhhh. Yeah i see i have several png files in the resources folder. Do I need to include them all or something to have access to all the characters I require?

Just had to clear the glyph cache. I’m good :).