Handsets

Which handsets have people got, or waiting for? Any problems/details on them?

I’m waiting for the Samsung i7500 here in the UK. The OLED screen has me sold I think.

Kev

Only the Magic is released in NZ. Not sure if I want that or wait for what ever is next out. I want something with hardware acceleration which seems the i7500 doesn’t have.

Can you give me a reference for that, it seems to have the same hardware at the G1 and that has ES hardware acceleration?

Kev

This seems to imply the opposite:

http://www.ryebrye.com/blog/2008/11/18/neocore-g1-opengl-showcase-posted/

Though the only processor seems to be:

Qualcomm MSM7200A 528 MHz processor

Which doesn’t appear to have graphics a co-processor or anything for graphics. So, I guess it isn’t?

Waiting for a handset with a GPU though might be:

a) A long wait?
b) Wasted time, games will target the existing handsets - hence be designed for current tech?

Kev

So far what I’ve seen on forums is that G1 has the only hardware 3d accel.
EgonOlsen just got the i7500: http://www.jpct.net/forum2/index.php/topic,991.30.html
He’s saying that none have accel or he can’t find any info on this.

But maybe I’ll just get what ever phone is out when I get one. Which will be a few months when we need one for work to test on it for our current web project.

G1, Magic, Hero and i7500 hardware all looks pretty similar to me.

Kev

Though reading around, I can’t help but agree with Egon. There’s no definitive answer at all - which seems pretty odd when it’s such a deal clincher.

Kev

Odd indeed, I’ll keep looking around…

Fickle old me, just ordered the HTC Hero. ;D

Kev

As you already know, I’ve got the Hero :slight_smile:

I have the G1. Solid phone. Just ugly as sin.

I am liking the look of the Samsung, but only if it has a GPU.

Passing on the Hero until I hear if the hardware can keep up with everything the software is doing. Any reports on the speed/battery life of it?

It’s not perfect, it does judder under load in the UI, the battery on mine lasts a good couple of days, and thats with lots of wifi and playing :). I don’t think there are any android phones out there with more power yet. The galaxy might benefit from not having such a flashy GUI, but it doesn’t have as much ram either.

I tried the Qualcomm Armadillo roll and that runs nice and smooth in all it’s GLES glory.

Endolf

HTC Hero is really very nice. Looks ok, and performs well in everything I’ve done. Got my stuff on it with little to no effort.

Kev

It has one…it’s basically the same chipset and Omnigsoft-games make already use of it. It’s the big unanswered question, if Dalvik can make use of it too (or of any GPU…i’m still not convinced that it works on G1)…but that’s another thread… ;D

BTW: Neocore runs fine on the Samsung @ around 24fps

Awesomeness! Very good news.

Would it help if I told you that once I forgot to call egl.eglTerminate(dpy); so when I started up my game again, instead of having nice accelerated graphics, it fell back to, what I think was, OpenGL software emulation. The reason I think it was software emulation was because it looked exactly like it does when I run the game in the Android emulator (vertices all screwed up, running super slow, …).

I’ve no idea where to put this and i don’t think that i need it, when using a GLSurfaceView. I’ve based my stuff on this example: http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2009/04/introducing-glsurfaceview.html...anyway, maybe we should move this discussion back into the other thread: http://www.java-gaming.org/index.php/topic,20910.0.html

Joining the club, I’ve ordered HTC Hero a moment ago. :slight_smile: I’m quite excited about this Android-platform, hopefully I can get some nice games going on – although at first I need to familiarize myself with the ins and outs of the platform. Hopefully we Finlanders can get access to the paid apps in Android Market soon (say, in a couple of months), currently we cannot purchase apps nor publish (paid) apps… Oh well, gives me time to learn things. :wink:

Currently got a G1 dev phone. I’m too much of a fan of hardware keyboards to go with only a soft keyboard. I really want to get my hands on a Motorola Tao/Sholes. Thinner than the myTouch, but with a hardware keyboard? I may end up not liking it, but I really want to play with one.