Guardian [FINISHED]

Troll Rock Thrower in action.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/99583484/Project%2016x/Screenshots/Screenshot%203.png

I fixed my projectile system, so now I can have projectiles go at different speeds, angles, weights etc.

Okay, time to unveil the name for the project.
Unfortunately I made a hash of typing it in. :persecutioncomplex:

There you go!
Happy deciphering!

WOW! This looks so good! Keep up the good work, I can’t wait for the next update…

And we have particles!

Yay!

(No screenshots. Just wait for a Prototype Release)

Okay!

I have a prototype build out!
This requires Java 7.
You need to unzip the file, then it should run fine.

Arrow keys to move. Space to attack. 0-9 keys to change character. + and - to zoom in/out.
1-4 are guardians. 5-9 & 0 are monsters. Monsters don’t attack monsters ;).

Monsters are to the right, but they will find you if you can’t find them. :frowning:
Yes, you will be overwhelmed eventually. :’(

Please give me some feedback if you think a particular character is overpowered/underpowered. I don’t have the time to test everything.

Enjoy! ;D

I think you should allow your monsters to attack other monsters ;D
(P.S. how did you make the hash?)

thenameofthegame.hashCode();

An if monsters attacked monsters it would be too easy.

I get a “fatal error” when trying to run the game on Windows 7, I will message you the error report as it is very lengthy.

Doesn’t to me, and I am on Win7. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oo we both must of downloaded the game at the same time, it doesn’t work for me either. printed a .txt file in the location of the jar

Did you unzip the zipped file? :point:

yes we are able to read, and understand that its using LWJGL.

Okay, thanks for the report.
I can’t do anything about it until tomorrow.

The error happened in the [icode]glDrawArrays()[/icode] in the render method for the sky.
I am unsure what is causing the problem, but I have a suspicion it is the graphics card because all your other hardware shown in the error report is the same as mine. Can you post your graphics card/driver in case anyone here knows what is wrong?

Sorry about that. I’ll fix it as soon as possible (if it is something I can fix)

Seems like it only works on Java 7? :frowning:

Yes. I’m a Java 7 Developer.

Switch-case with strings is useful, along with NIO (although that affects networked games more)
And at least SOME of the many security flaws are fixed.

I get the same thing as with your Far From Home game.

#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x5bc3b133, pid=2560, tid=3276
#
# JRE version: 7.0_09-b05
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (23.5-b02 mixed mode, sharing windows-x86 )
# Problematic frame:
# C  [nvoglv32.DLL+0x77b133]
#
# Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://bugreport.sun.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#

The download is fine.

It seems that for some reason, something on your computers makes Vertex Arrays fail.
Please post graphics card details in case someone knows what is wrong.

The other possibility is a bug in LWJGL. I could try downgrading to 2.8.4 if we find that graphics cards/drivers are not the problem.
Does anyone developing LWJGL know if it’s a LWJGL bug?

Okay, I just uploaded a new prototype.
Same link as before.

Added:

Character Special Attacks. Press X to use. Has a long cooldown (except Assassin).
Currently only the Assassins, Warrior, Archer, Goblin and the Trolls have specials, but that will change soon enough.

Launch from the command line like [icode]java -jar Guardian.jar debug[/icode] and it will print out your OpenGL version in case something goes wrong. More debug features will be added if neccessary.
Please report if it works or not. I need to get an idea of how many people it fails for.

*facepalm :cranky:

The downside is that Mac users will not be able to run your game.

Mac and Java 7 doesn’t work with LWJGL stable (although the devs are working on fixing this).

Further, Lion (10.7+) is required to install JRE 7, so even once LWJGL devs fix the problem, ~40% of Macs will still be unable to run your game (see here for version breakdown).

I don’t see why Java 7 is necessary for game dev at the expense of losing so many customers. I don’t think I’ve ever needed a String switch statement, except when I first started programming and was using String constants instead of enums.

The new file stuff is nice, but more important if you are developing tools like Spine than if you are developing a game.