GTGE

anyone know what happened to it and stopped updating?
or do the creators consider it a finished project?

Its development has been stopped some years ago but there are several games that still use it including excellent games like the clone of “Ken Le survivant” in the Showcase section.

Yeah, as goussej says it stopped a few years ago. The website hasnt been updated for a few years and the forum is not as active as it used to be (although there are a few frequent forum users still who are very helpfull). The main developer did release the full source about 1-2 years ago as he was unable to devote his full attention to it.
Personally I still use it (version 0_2_3.jar) as I always found it pretty easy to create simple applet games (i.e see http://www.bullsquared.com all GTGE apart from the 4K game).

GTGE was pretty good back in the day but nowadays Slick2D or PulpCore are better choices for 2d games.

i see
thank you all for your time and answers
it does look good (played the games in the show case, not very excited by the games themselves but the performance looked great)

I use it as well. I see the creator on the forums though. there is some great stuff to it.

I am pretty new to it, but I am loving it though.