Good Game Patterns book: Game programming Patterns, Robert Nystrom

Every now and then I come across a book that I makes me want to stop programming and read it as fast as possible because there is so much to learn and incorporate.

http://gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Game Programming Patterns by Robert Nystrom

Examples are in C++, not Java, unfortunately. But otherwise this book is really promising, so far. I’ve read up through FlyWeight on my first sitting. I came across it via a reference to the Component chapter of the Decoupling section earlier in the day – something quite relevant to the AFrame/JavaScript stuff I’m learning/cramming.

Part of why I like it: for every recommendation there is also an acknowledgement of the downsides. No panaceas or cure-alls. It’s balanced. (Though, he does seem to have a significant antipathy to Singleton.)

Maybe I shouldn’t recommend something until I’ve read more. But I am wondering if others have seen it or read it.

[EDIT: another oops for me. Should have done a search first. This post is a duplicate of yet another. Lots of good comments in the original discussion.]

I ordered the book after briefly reading the web version. I even have the following quote on decoupling patterns printed and pinned on the wall behind my monitors at work:

[quote]If you think paging some data from disk to RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves
[/quote]

He’s got a new one in progress, Crafting Interpreters, where he describes a Java and a C implementation of a scripting language.