Going to China for 2 months

I’ve been learning chinese for about 6 years in school. 4 years in Highschool, 2 in college so far.

I’m going to shanghai for an internship. I’m working for a company my uncle used to do business with.

Any tips? ;D

Always watch both ways before crossing the roads - they use silent electronic mopeds that accelerate from 0 to top speed in a few seconds (they’re awesome, definitely rent one - but they are silent as death).

The traffic rules are non-existent, it’s first come first serve - basically don’t ever get a drivers license, always use a taxi and or metro. (it is very scary sometimes since they all drive like they’re insane)

Most food places are good, some are AVOID AVOID at all costs. Generally if there’s a lot of people -> it’s probably a good place no matter how “street” it looks. Do not enter low population food places (roaches literally crawling on the walls sometimes - i have first hand experience).

It’s hot and moist/humid. Public toilets are all just holes in the ground. Always have napkins/paper with you. Always carry hand sanitiser and use before eating (this is not rude).

China is very rich and very poor - there is not much of a middle class. It’s a big place - you can find anything. You will see incredible things and horrible things.

If you’re not asian you will encounter mild racism, nothing horrible or obvious though. Your input in most things will probably be ignored completely.

They also smoke all the time everywhere and anywhere.

Also get travel insurance.

China is a lovely, sometimes frustratingly confusing place - have fun! Do recommend.

Also shanghai? Get face masks for most days (except very clear days). New mask for every new day.

Also no matter how much you’ve studied - nobody will understand you at first - probably not even in the first few months. Basically you know nothing jon snow. Especially if you enter a region where they speak a dialect (aka most places).

Good to know! :slight_smile:
Thanks ^^

Blond hair, white skin, blue eyes. Damn! :persecutioncomplex:

One thing i would warn you about is the internet censorship. Once you are in china, say goodbye to: google search, youtube, facebook , twitter etc… Unless you have other software that bypass the great firewall of China.

If you want honest opinion about china from other expats who live china, i highly recommend serpenta 's channel on youtube.

Have fun!

旅途愉快! ;D