Ghostr - 2D Ghost Hunting Arcade Game

Ghostr is a 2D ghost hunting arcade-style game. Ghosts are killed in the light and you will walk around a room or room(s) attempting to kill ghosts, until you run out of health. Levels are similar to Jetpack Joyride, where there is one type of gameplay that you play over and over again, attempting to get higher scores or better jetpacks (or flashlights in this case).

Goals:

• System to load stored room layouts from files
  • Support for playing multiple rooms
  • Upgradeable tools/tool stores
  • Ghost entity AI
  • Multiple ghost types

I am new to making games, and have only made games without physics or advanced movement before, so this game is going to be a learning experience for me.

I will be posting my updates here and hoping for constructive criticism on not only the gameplay, but also my code quality and design patterns, as I wish to learn game development with help from the community.

If you have any thoughts on something that could be improved, something you’d like to see in the game, how you feel about it or the design, etc, please comment!

Tech Demo
A demo of the intro to the game, the music, and current gameplay environment. The menu was removed from this demo due to problems, but will be added back soon.

Here you can download, fork, or help contribute to my current code. It will be left open source even once released and I am hoping some constructive critique of my design patterns will come out of leaving it open source.

Github Repository

The latest images from the game. They will be updated when the aesthetics change or new things are added.