Game Engines?

[quote]Are these still the top choices, and does one of them stand out more than the others?
[/quote]
I made the AndEngine -> libgdx switch a couple of months ago and so far haven’t regretted it for 1 second and can’t think of a single reason to switch to anything else.

stevyo, thanks for the reply. Can you provide any insight into why you find libgdx so much better?

While I don’t know it this will take off I am starting to organize my plans around my new game console.

http://www.indiegogo.com/AllBinary-Game-Console-1

[quote]stevyo, thanks for the reply. Can you provide any insight into why you find libgdx so much better?
[/quote]
There are a few blog posts out there that highlight the differences between the 2 so won’t elaborate on these points again (speed, developing on desktop etc). For me personally I find libgdx less restrictive. I managed to write 2 puzzle slider type games with AndEngine with no problem but struggled with a more complex game (with complex sprite movements). Was never at ease with the event based model AngEngine uses (give me a main game loop anyday). When I switched some of the things I was struggling with (multiple screens, camera movement with zoom and velocity) I solved immediately with libgdx and little fuss, and with all my logic in a main loop I had more control over my sprites, game logic etc. At first wasn’t fussed about the desktop deployment (as have tablet which deploys in around 1 second, old htc magic phone was 30seconds so this would have been more an issue) but now am used to it will probably deploy games as applets when finished which is a nice bonus. Also community is excellent (the 1 minor bug I found was fixed in < 2 hours), the main man (Mario) provides excellent daily support (and has written his own book, which is pretty good too and generally inspires confidence).

I’ve put together a massive list of 2D Android Game Engines that I believe is definitive http://mobilegameengines.com/android/2d_game_engines

I’m sure you will find a game engine that will meet your requirements.

Jason.

Cool big thanks for the list of Game Engines!