FruityFrank - A game about a fruity adventure.

Hello guys!

I’m happy to announce that I’ve finally finished my platformer game that I’ve been working on for nearly 3 years now. Without occiasional development pauses and some better technology choices it probably would’ve taken around 1-2 years. For example, I wrote the level editor with a Swing GUI first, but then switched over to JavaFX. Also, a few months into the project, I wrote a custom ECS engine which also wasn’t necessary, as there are a few pretty good open source ECS libraries out there. Later, I decided to implement my own markup language (inspired by TreeML and JSON), a thing that also wasn’t necessary. These things probably cost me lots of motivation for the project. But now it’s finished, so that doesn’t matter anymore. :slight_smile:

The only library used is JavaFX/OpenJFX.

Description
Embark on the adventure of an apple called Frank, in a world full of living fruits.

The game is inspired by classic games like Mario, it even shares a main feature: The story is quite gentle, but the game gets really hard.

An indie game made using exclusively open source tools.

Feel free to leave feedback or report bugs in the comment section, it’s highly appreciated.

v0.4.8

Screenshots

https://img.itch.zone/aW1hZ2UvNDQzODk2LzIyNTEzMjUucG5n/original/11o%2B9N.png

Download on itch.io. Instructions are also there.

Have fun playing, feedback is welcome!

Cheers

@ mods: You can move this game to featured if you want to, as it fulfills the rules and it’s finished.

Took me a while to get it to run. I have JDK 12 installed but I also had JRE 8 installed, which apparently is the latest JRE version?
I thought this is what you should install if you want to run java programs, after all it’s the first result you get when you google “java download” so why is the version so old? Odd.
Anyways, now I know that the JDK includes its very own runtime environment and you don’t need JRE at all, you learn something new everyday.
I don’t think most people will go through the hassle of getting their java installation in order, so you should really consider bundling a runtime environment with the game if you want people to play it.

I understand this was a project you used to experiment with things, and actual game design was not your priority, so I’ll just say it was a cute game :slight_smile: Got as far as level 16 before my patience ran too thin

Thanks for the feedback!

That’s probably because OpenJDK is the new Java distribution of choice, as Oracle changed to a fuzzy licensing model.

Well, it runs on my machine! ;D
Noted, additional packaged builds are underway now. Of course, most people are not going to install an up to date Java first, thanks for the broad hint.

Wow, level 16 is quite far for playing the first time. For me it isn’t that much of a problem, I guess it’s the “master of my own universe” phenomenon… played those levels hundreds of times, basically. The trick is to hold the jump key for a medium amount of time when below the spikes… :wink:

Thanks for saying nicely that the game lacks good design, I’m a bit aware of that as it really wasn’t that much of a priority and I scrapped quite a few mechanics that weren’t really fun, basically cut it down to a bare minimum. But the levels themselves have design (or are supposed to, anyway).

Cheers

EDIT: Packaged builds are now up for ease of running.

Did you make the art yourself? I really love the background art. Similar to what I eventually want to have for tritonforge

Thanks, I did 90% of the art myself using GIMP, Krita and Blender (with a “pixel art compositor setup” :slight_smile: ). But I got most of the backgrounds from OpenGameArt.org, only adapted some parts of them. They work really well for parallax backgrounds