FreeRails - based on RailRoad Tycoon I and II

FreeRails is a very old project and started as an open source version of the RailRoad Tycoon I and II games already in 2000 on Sourceforge. However, in 2008, the development more or less stopped. The game was in an intermediate state with track and station building, trains running, but without fancy graphics or AI opponents.

At the end of the last year I decided to revive the project if possible. I took the open source code from Sourceforge and put it on Github and started cleaning it up. The advantage of using Java for the project was that it kind of build and run out of the box. Of course you see that the graphics style is at least 10 years old and the code base also is quite complex. It takes some time to get into it and I try to make it considerably easier.

Here is a screenshot of the actual state:

Of course any help in the development is highly appreciated, it being an open source game project. The plan is to finish the game with a more modern 2D graphics style using JavaFx and a stable, efficient game engine with similar features to RailRoad I&II and worthy AI opponents, so it can be single-player or multi-player.

Important links