Freefall4k

New version, FreefallFour4k:
http://www.x2d.org/java/4k/freefall4k.jnlp

What’s new in FreefallFour: Added some visual effects (snow! yay!). Also changed loop to use oNyx’s system instead of wait(), which should hopefully improve the game. Runs a slight bit slower now, but it should not be a problem. I also adjusted speed a bit on purpose. Game size is still the same due to removal of unneccessary elements, meaning I have about 0,2k left, and that’s without SuperPackME, and little optimization. There’s plenty of room for improvements, so give me your thoughts :slight_smile:

I’d like comments about the smoothness of this new version - does it run well? Also, suggestions for the game and comments on snow (speed, the way it looks, size, whatever you can think of) would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What’s new in FreefallThree: Using the unsigned JAR for webstart, as this runs fine in sandbox mode. Changes in this version include slightly lower sensitivity and the addition of new clouds. The bigger clouds allow for better “liftoff”, while the smaller clouds are, well, bouncier - that is, when falling longer, try to hit smaller clouds. When not falling, hit the bigger clouds (they give you a better boost upwards). New version is about 3,8 kb unsigned, so there’s still room left. I’m afraid the game runs a little less smoothly now, as the painting’s heavier and my programming is, well, not good. I’ll look into that later, when I have the time.

I might add that the signed files are above 4k, whereas the JAR without the signature is not. The unsigned version is the one I’ll be submitting, providing the rules allow that. Furthermore, I don’t think it needs a signature, I’m just not sure what to do so that I can avoid it.

Original description:

Well… Bouncy game, nothing fancy, around 3.5 kb without particularly great code, so I’m sure I could add something to it - I just need some ideas, can’t really think of much :smiley:

Comes in two versions - FreefallTwo4k (The newer one, and better according to me) - controlled by only one, quite sensitive control (Space), and Freefall4k, that uses arrow keys and is less sensitive. If I can’t think of anything else, I’ll just put both versions in one game. Perhaps. “N” restarts the game, in both versions.

The idea is to bounce as many of the clouds as you can - there are 30 clouds in FreefallTwo4k, and 50 clouds in the older version. That means that there’s a maximum score, but it’s hard to reach. I’ve done it once (I think - maybe it was 29). It’s hard enough to reach that it isn’t much of a problem, anyway :slight_smile:

As I said, nothing fancy, just for fun. I do think however, that the gameplay is okay for such a simple game :smiley:
Here goes:

FreefallTwo4k:
http://www.x2d.org/java/4k/freefalltwo.jnlp

Freefall4k:
http://www.x2d.org/java/4k/freefall.jnlp

FreefallThree4k, signed version (please use link above instead):
http://www.x2d.org/java/4k/freefallthree.jnlp

Right, I’m confused, am I trying to score high or low? :slight_smile:

Lovely presentation! The control is a little too sensitive, kinda felt a lack of control, felt more like I was watching it than playing it.

Even so, I still ended up playing it for a few minutes!? So it must be good :slight_smile:

Keep um coming!

Kev

Oh, I forgot to mention the scoring system. Coming right up! (see modified post above) :slight_smile:

On the sensitivity: Well, I tried a few different settings, and figured, since you can only go one way in the second version, the sensitivity needs to be rather high so that you can get clouds to the right if the ball’s to the left (via bouncing). In the other version, it’s not that high :smiley:

Slick and nice graphics - this would have been great for that “one key” competition a while back.

Lovely smooth graphics & novel gameplay. I played the one-button version. If you’ve still got 0.5k spare, maybe there’s room for different types of cloud, with different scores, or maybe have one that gives you extra vertical velocity :slight_smile:

great graphics, but I agree with kev… are we aiming for the clouds or avoiding them?

keep it up :slight_smile:

I think that idea behind this game is very promising. If I understand it correctly, you are suppose to bounce from the clouds. Controls are little too weird, but as I say, its funny idea and I liked it.

Alan_W: Thanks, excellent idea. I just might add that! :slight_smile:

woogley: You’re supposed to bounce on all of them, as it says in the updated description. Might add a String that says so :smiley:
I did try to make a version were you were supposed to avoid clouds, but it was far too hard - either controls got too sensitive or too unsensitive, didn’t make a great game anyway :slight_smile:

Hmm. I just realized there is absolutely no need to get full access with this program, so there’s no need to sign it. Putting up a new webstart link for unsigned version. New version, with new webstart link, found above.

Thinking of making the bottom text gray to fit with the webstart java application banner, or at least to draw some kind of line. Also thinking of changing the game so that it doesn’t start immediatly but rather after you press N once, and changing cloud graphics slightly so that you can actually see the difference. Suggestions?

New version up, after weeks of no coding on this game :slight_smile:
For details on this new version, see the main post above. Any comments are very appreciated! :slight_smile: