Flow 4k

I found out about this competition through slashdot and I’ve been having fun coding since.
Putting on the finishing touches for my first 4k java compo game.

Check out the preliminary version here: http://www.xmunkki.org/projects/flow4k/game.html

I hope that applets are accepted and that the .html size is not counted towards the applet size. And the game doesn’t have a standalone mode; is that required? (so in essence it runs only as an applet)

I’m probably going to make another game as well since this is so fun ;D

hey thats a petty cool idea, very original, great work! :wink:

very nice game! :slight_smile:

Cool idea, dang hard though!

I shiver @ the thought of the Maths behind that! :wink:

Nice job!

Very unique and interesting game, good imlementation too. I only made to about level 5 or 6. It does get really hard there. Good job!

Neat idea. Unfortunately it runs at about 1fps here (500mhz). With the appletviewer… started with jws its faster shrug

Btw you can turn applets into webstart apps easily. See here:
http://kaioa.com/k/flow4k.jnlp (rightclick->save as if you want to take a look - just click for running it)

For jnlp to work on your host you need the right mime type. Basically you only need to add this line to your .htaccess:
AddType application/x-java-jnlp-file .jnlp

cool game! great phisics, but a litle dificult, maybe lowering the amount of gas to win down to 90% or so would make it alot easier

[edit] ok i have just noticed the green bar and the “enter to next level” text… have to get some sleep now :-\ [/edit]

I didn’t find it hard @ all :frowning:

Was disappointed when the levels wrapped around back to the start, without any noticable increase in difficulty.

Perhaps on subsequent laps through the levels, the game should get harder? (higher completion %s ?)

I can only sometimes drag the gas, it mostly simply doesn’t react. - is this correct? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

So yeah, the applet is quite math intensive. I’m horrified to think how fast it would run without a JIT. Nothing much can be done about that, sans finding out new algorithms.

There are currently about 6 levels in that preview and no “game ending”. It’s still a work in progress, mind you. :slight_smile:

And yeah, maybe “drag” was the wrong word, but it was the best I could think up that didn’t take much space in the screen (and it gets the user to click and drag the mouse). The idea is to control the air flow. So when you click & drag the mouse, you are actually generating wind currents which the fog travels through.

Gonna keep at it… Thanks for the feedback (and thanks onyx for the jnlp tip)!

I do this, but it still doesn’t work. I can drag my mouse, but the fog often simply doesn’t start to flow, or change it’s flow direction.

[quote=“arne,post:12,topic:25784”]
You have to realize that there’s suction or wind from other objects on the playing field. Getting the gas to do what you want can be very difficult. That’s the challenge. I personally think he did a great job. :slight_smile:

Yeah, but it should at least do something … doesn’t matter to me, if it starts to move in the opposite direction. But it doesn’t start to move at all!! It seems more to me like if the MouseDragEvent doesn’t get transfered to the Listener or something.

I get this as well. MOST drags have no effect at all. I managed to make it to level 3… which looked pretty much impossible.

Nice game! Though I felt that it was more impressive in the technical area than in the gameplay, but all people are different. :slight_smile:

Great fluid dynamics! cool game. I finished all the levels. waiting for more :slight_smile:

btw do u have any good links where i can learn this stuff?

I had absolutely no problems on my Windows box. The smallest drag had a slight effect, the biggest drag had a huge effect. Everyone seemed to count. I got through all the levels, sometimes having to try a couple extra times. The game was beautifully smooth and felt like at least 20fps. I didn’t see any stuttering or anything, it was simply a great game.

Extra props on the original idea! I really like it, great job!!

maybe this is the problem… I’m running Linux.

Im running windows and at level 3, dragging any gas seems futile! First and second are pretty easy tho.

Maybe the problem is that the wind factor from the yellow fan isn’t taking into account the time spent between two frames ? I.e its applying 20 forces units per frame, when it should be 20 * timePerFrame…

Malohkan, whats your cpu ?

DP