Flash 4K

I like Applets better than Webstart these days, mostly because of Plugin2. However, to give some contrast:

True if they have Plugin2, which requires 1.6 (update 10?). The majority of people still have 1.5 (since thats what vendors like Dell are shipping on their bog standard boxes). If you don’t have Plugin2 your applet is going to hang the browser for VM start up time, the applet may or may not start cleanly, and you’re going to spend a lot of time with bugs that come down to browser caches.

Most people are used to however downloading an exe and running it. Not that bigger leap from webstart. Most people are familiar with applets - but not in a good way. They’re associated with browser hangs and failures.

Agreed. There’s a lot of equivilents in the Java world but alot require signing still.

But why would you do that if Java WebStart is so bad and you have the option of embedding so cleanly in a web page?

… if you have plugin2.

Never seen this or heard of it. Only reason I could think is if you’re hosting the JNLP on a non-port 80 webserver. If thats the case the applet hosted there will have the same issue.

Agreed. However, some people see that as a good thing, i.e. offline running works without a hitch.

Agreed.

Thats not really true. If they have an old version of Java (<1.4) then Applets will look and behave very badly. You’ll have to do a bunch of extra work to get them to work well. Given the high penetration of 1.4 now this isn’t really a good argument.

Also a bit weak. If you’re serious about games development using free hosting that is so limited it doesn’t support JNLP (or allow configuration of that support) is a bit of a bad idea. Especially, given there are plenty of free hosting solutions that do support JNLP.

Applets are bad in certain cases because:

1. Behavior is undefined. You might get the sub1.4 applet stuff which is awful, the 1.4->1.6 stuff which is bad at startup but runs ok, or the 1.6+ Plugin2 which is just the dogs balls (a good thing in the UK ;)). This means at best you’re writing for two platforms at the moment (assuming you’re willing to lose pre 1.4 players).

2. For good user experience (comparable with Flash) Plugin2 is required or a bunch of additional work is required (could someone standardise these scripts and make it possible for everyone to use?). Plugin2 isn’t everywhere - or infact very many places yet.

3. Browser caches are still causing problems. In my current Applet project I’ve reverted to putting version identifer on my JARs to ensure they don’t get cached somewhere along the way.

4. Using natives in Applets still looks odd. That security dialog looks way more bizarre to someone who is expecting the embedded applet to work like flash than it does to someone that already has been primed that some different is happening (Java Splash Screen, Webstart…)

Don’t get me wrong, I am infact using applets for my current project. I like the way they feel and I see a bright future. However, I don’t think it’s just as clean cut as you’re trying to make it sound. They have plenty of issues in certain use cases just the same way Java Webstart does.

Which is of course what the majority of people still have.

Kev

I have 1.6u10 and it still hangs the browser while it’s loading.

Isn’t this thread now duplicating most of the discussion in the “Applets only?” thread? That one seems a much more logical place for it…

I have created my first Flash game, and I think it is better than the Java version. I mean it is much simpler for me to develop the game.

Look at this:

http://cppanddelphi.atw.hu/asteroids/game.htm

My problem was the compression with Java games. I only could use ProGuard, nothing else. The swf files are compressed automaticaly, so it was a big relief. I could use more classes as well and the source code is legible too.

I partly agree with you. Maybe my question is stupid… is it possible to have a full-screen window when using applets? I don’t like games inside the browser, I find it less “real”.

Yep.
I believe you need to sign it, or you can fake it.

See:
http://www.indiespot.net/files/vista_login_applet.html

No signing, no native fullscreen though.

You can do full screen for unsigned JavaFX apps (since 1.2), but only when running on 6u10+ .

Dmitri