Driver4K

Your gang is robbing the bank. Pick up the money and drive it back to the safe house.
Upgrade your car at the shop. Don’t get busted by the cops!

http://www.java4k.com/index.php?action=games&method=view&gid=291

KEYBOARD CONTROLS

[tr][td]Arrow Keys or WSAD[/td][td]=[/td][td]Car Control[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ctrl[/td][td]=[/td][td]Hand brake[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]ESC[/td][td]=[/td][td]Restart[/td][/tr]

SCORES

[tr][td]$50,000[/td][td]=[/td][td]You’re fired[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]$100,000[/td][td]=[/td][td]Good job[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]$150,000[/td][td]=[/td][td]Excellent job[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]$200,000+[/td][td]=[/td][td]Driver4K champion![/td][/tr]

All / any comments very welcome and appreciated! :slight_smile:

Ah!!! I just edited the java4k page to try any get rid of the in the description, and now the applet has stopped working! And I can’t select that it is a pack200 applet anymore. Anyone know how to fix this?

EDIT: I uploaded the pack.gz file again and that seemed to fix it. :smiley:

Haha, that’s fun.

<100k first go.
192k 2nd go.

Difficulty feels just about right.

One question though - do upgrades continue to have an effect after the visible indicator is maxed out?
It sure felt like it - was hitting some ludicrous speed towards the end.

All it needs is some nice siren, crash and skidding sfx =)

No, upgrades stop when the indicator is maxed out. When you get a lot of police smashing into you, your speed can go a little crazy ;D

If people enjoy this version, I’ll look at making an Android version with sfx, traffic, …

Just wondering if anyone had beaten my best score of $230k?

The End is a bit irritating.
It just stops? No Message or anything? ???
No Possibility to Restart? ???

esc to restart.

maybe I am just worse than everyone else at high speed chases :P. cause I only got like 75000

Nope, can’t do much better than $75k. Once the cops knock the cash around I don’t feel like I have precise enough control to collect them from all over the place. :confused:

As h3ckboy mentioned, ESC to restart.

Yep, I ran out of space for an end message (currently right on 4096 byte limit). Dimming the screen at the end uses much less bytes. I will look through the byte code again to see if I can squeeze out some more space. Or I could remove something to put in an end message, like removing the labels on the buildings.

dimming costs less than a simple drawString()?

you mean

java.awt.Graphics.drawString(java.lang.String, int, int)

yeah.

just curious, what else would I mean?

I’m trying to give you a hint about why it would be bigger in bytecode than a dimming effect…

Yep, the space mostly goes in the actual text (as drawString is already in my constant pool). And then there’s the fill rectangle I need to draw behind the text so you can actually read the text. Darn 4K limit! ::slight_smile:

why because you are actually calling java.awt.Graphics.drawString(String,int,int). And that is more than anticipated when using drawString(String,int,int)?

Great game. 8)

May I realized well that you used my physics? If so was it a big effort to figure out my code? I tried to give lot of explanation.

Thanks! I used Benedikt Bitterli’s physics code. Is that you? If so, it was a fantastic article you did, thank you! http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/verletPhys/default.asp

nice game idea and very nice game !

but cannot manage to get a descent score…

I assume you cannot make it over $50,000. Can you let me know what you have the most trouble with? Do you spin out all the time, or just can’t get away from the cops? Or does the car just not drive how you would expect it to?

car drive nice but even with maximum grip (and the speed to minimum), It is still hard to turn and feel very slicy, maybe you can increase the defaut grip to a higher value