Doom 3 BFG source code

Id doesn’t do gameplay, and now they don’t license engines. They seem to be going on name recognition alone. Rage sold about 2.5M copies, which is respectable, but it’s about half of BF3’s units moved and a third of Skyrim. And Id’s next project is … Doom 4. I think it’s an appropriate title for the future of innovation at that outfit.

it is; but not for Id, and certainly not considering the long development time of Rage

I didn’t have that experience myself, blasted through waves of enemies without much effort. If anything, I found it way too easy :s The enemies are so utterly stupid there are always tricks to render them useless, often being on a higher platform was already enough. The only thing I found unfair about the game are the scripted events of enemies waiting behind a door to pounce, there is just no avoiding them unless you know that they’re there. It ain’t scary either, its all heart attacks and almost no real terror. At least Doom 1 & 2 gave you the sense that you were really in deep sh1t, not Rambo running through endless typical looking mars facility tunnels and offices, picking off the 1 or 2 enemies the game sends at you at a time.

Let me put it differently: in Doom 2 I regularly get myself in the situation where I’m running for my life shouting “oh sh1t oh sh1t oh sh1t oh sh1t oh sh1t”. Doom 3 just did not give me that heart pounding adrenaline moment a single time. Such a regression in gaming experience :frowning:

Seconded :slight_smile:

Oh my God, you missed out on something special there. Half-life was the game that had me immersed more than any other. Except Final Fantasy VII of course…!

Half Life made me paranoid about air vents. When a game gives you the heebie jeebies in real life, it’s done its job well. Shame about that Xen thing. Double shame Ep3/HL3 is almost certainly dead. What a downer to end the series on.