Doing a mix of 3d and 2d

Currently myself and a friend are developing both a game design document and a class diagram for an online rpg that will run in applet. We are mainly aiming at a 2d game with an isometric view angle. For the ground/terrain, we don’t want it to look flat and boring, but more or less actually have hills and such. I know a lot can be done with shading and proper drawing to show depth and slopes. Im wondering if perhaps using a 3d mesh is the way to go, and we can just do some simple 2d sprites that run over top. Is this a bad idea?

If we go down that route, I’m thinking using the lwjgl is probably the way to go. JME2 would be nice, but I think since it’s primary focus is full 3d, that might not work so well. I do like slick as well, but obviously that wouldnt support the 3d terrain.

Any thoughts or suggestions on that methodology, and the tools we’re thinking of?

its pretty easy to access OpenGL directly from slick2D, so you can pretty easily (if you know opengl) access it and draw a 3d terrain and continue using it for the 2d part.

Alternatively you could directly go for raw OpenGL with LWJGL and do every thing directly (i.e. the 2d and 3d).