Deploying libgdx for android

Can anyone point me to a good guide for deploying with libgdx on android?
I tried looking at the libgdx wiki and the section on deploying for android wasn’t very clear…

Thanks!

use the setup ui

Where do I find that?

EDIT: But that just sets up the project, I mean actually deploying and outputting an apk for android

When you use the setup UI it will generate an <Profject_Name>-android project. If you run that, it will create an APK in that project’s /bin folder.

Thanks you, hadn’t realised that :slight_smile:

note: that apk will work, but you cant put it onto the google play market

Why not? And how do we make one we can put onto the market?

The .apk file is generated automatically when you try to run the game on your own device. For example, if your game is named MYGAME, take a look at:

MYGAME-android/bin

and .apk file should be there.

That’s not what he was asking. He was asking why that apk file isn’t ready for the store. I too am wondering why.

this is documented by google of course
every official, non debug apk you intend to publish needs an official signature from you.

how does this work ? you just need to create and apply a “keystore”, which basically just holds your name as developer and a password to identify you.
How do you make one ? Well I personally just use eclipse. Just go to Export in Eclipse and make an apk that way, it will ask for keystore and help you create one. Very simple.
Do not lose you keystore or the password, because every update of one particular game can only be made with that same keystore.

Just like with software signatures in general, this is to make sure that a particular piece of software is of genuine origin.

The .apk file is generated automatically when you try to run the game on your own device. For example, if your game is named MYGAME, take a look at:

MYGAME-android/bin

and .apk file should be there.

That’s not what he was asking. He was asking why that apk file isn’t ready for the store. I too am wondering why.

this is documented by google of course
every official, non debug apk you intend to publish needs an official signature from you.

how does this work ? you just need to create and apply a “keystore”, which basically just holds your name as developer and a password to identify you.
How do you make one ? Well I personally just use eclipse. Just go to Export in Eclipse and make an apk that way, it will ask for keystore and help you create one. Very simple.
Do not lose you keystore or the password, because every update of one particular game can only be made with that same keystore.

Just like with software signatures in general, this is to make sure that a particular piece of software is of genuine origin.