Contest closed NOW?

Yeah, that’s true I suppose. Never really enjoyed actually playing it though. Maybe it needs a huge online community.

Cas :slight_smile:

The coolest thing about Wurm, for me, has been the obsessive community that has grown up around it. Consistantly find 50-70 people playing it and people strating to form their own towns, farms, etc. Very context rich (like Morrowind).

Very impressed with the quality of the engine, pack loaders, etc.

-Chris

And? Did it participate in the contest? (I’m afraid it did…)…

Wurm did not participate in the contest.

We already KNOW we’re best.
(no, just kidding. ;))

puh … :stuck_out_tongue:

why didn’t you?

[quote]Wurm did not participate in the contest.
[/quote]
Ok, so why not? :slight_smile:

Isn’t today THE DAY as well? :o

Kev

[quote]Isn’t today THE DAY as well? :o

Kev
[/quote]
at Moscone Center in San Francisco, California on June 28, 2004.

[quote]Isn’t today THE DAY as well? :o
[/quote]
Yes, it is!

But I’m afraid they’ll notify the top 4 and the rest of us will get to know nothing. May ‘you haven’t won’.

I’d personally be interested at least in the top10 ranking, or wether FG made it under the top 20, top 50?

But when they take their decision on todays US-evening … I’d be well asleep already…

no no … IIRC:

“… the winners will be notified by email on June 18 …”

:-[ Ah! I thought Kev was just optimistically remembering the 2 as a 1 :wink:

I’m not sure why we didn’t enter it.

Mostly some confusion about the rules, and the fact that wurm is still kinda unpolished and rough, I guess.

Less polished than AlienFlux, but 1000x more polished than FG.

Prototypes haven been explicitely allowed!

Now, its too late anyway … :-/

Has anybody won yet?

Cas :slight_smile:

I doubt they will announce today. They only asked me for my activation keys on the 14th and as of this morning, none have been used. So my two game entries have not been evaluated by any of the judges as far as I can tell.

[quote]I doubt they will announce today. They only asked me for my activation keys on the 14th and as of this morning, none have been used. So my two game entries have not been evaluated by any of the judges as far as I can tell.
[/quote]
I’m just wondering - did the rules state anywhere that the judges would definitely play the games before evaluating them? :wink: Maybe it’s going to be done on quality of website? :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Has anybody won yet?
[/quote]
Yes. You. I’m sure they’ll notify you soon.
::slight_smile:

There was nothing written about playing! But they are hardcore technical freaks. They only will decompile and judge the code!

Maybe sun was overly optimistic about how many games could be reviewed in a week by 5 people (who all had to play each game). I’m going to use my rough estimate of the number of entries which I’m sure is pretty much wrong, to determine the scientific judging thing (similar to the scientific santa, only less interesting and much simpler math cause big math hurts my brain).

We assume about 250 games, just because I assume 1/3 of the people who signed up submitted and a lot of those people submitted 3 games…

Sun employees probably work 8 hour days, but they are heavily dedicated so they actually work an extra 2 hours just for fun… well, ok, maybe they only do that on weeks when their job is to play games all day… now, we yank out an hour for lunch and 30 minutes for 15 minute breaks, and then we round it down to the nearest hour to avoid any real math… so sun employees work 8 hour days (40 hour weeks, even though I’m pretty sure athomas worked a lot more than an 8 hour day and probably lost some weekend to the games contest near the deadline). Without allowing sun employees to take a bathroom break that’s about 10 minutes per game to play a game, write down their judging scores based on the 4? categories in the agreement… If every game works right away and loads super fast then… hopefully my math is wrong cause 10 minutes hardly seems like enough time to do anything.

Maybe blah isn’t so wrong … they are looking for the best 4 games!

So they look at the site, maybe the description…

Tetris? Next…
Asteroids? Next…
Solitair? Next…

From their point of view … they have to present something in a keynote at JavaOne. I think they can quite easily pick them w/o having to play each.

I still hold my bet on AlienFlux. Excellent in a keynote!