Consecutive post limit

Hi,
I created a WIP-Topic about my game a few month ago and lately I ran into the 6 consecutive posts limit.
I did not know about this limit before and was actually a little shocked.
I somehow understand the reason behind this limit but I am not sure, if this fits the WIP-Board.
In the WIP-Board, people post the games they are currently working on. If you post your progress often, you will run into this limit pretty soon, except your game is really cool and gets enough interest.

The point is, that in the WIP-Board, in my opinion, not every post causes a discussion.
I follow many WIPs and I like to read the updates, but I don’t reply very often as I don’t think I have to comment every small update.

Thats why I would like to discuss about this limit and hear your opinion.

I dont like the limit, esp for a wip thread

I have the same feeling.

On one hand it’s a good indicator of how much interest/engagement there is in your project.

No replies, no medals on new posts, hitting post limit => You’re doing something wrong

On the other hand it’s kind of arbitrary so i’m against it as well, having a double-post cooldown of a day or so would make more sense than the current system.

Some get around it by asking for others (via another thread) for a reply in order to be able to reset the count. Which WIP application is yours?

State of things these days is that many issues have to be dealt with via work-arounds rather than changes to the site, due to its age and inflexibility.

[quote]On one hand it’s a good indicator of how much interest/engagement there is in your project.

No replies, no medals on new posts, hitting post limit => You’re doing something wrong
[/quote]
@VaTTeRGeR
I agree with you and I am sure I did something wrong. I probably posted the game too early, I posted every single update, even if there were only few changes and the progress is probably too slow.
However, I think that the WIP-Board should actually encourage you to post early and often. If you are new to game development, the help of others is very important and there are a lot of really good developers on this forum, which actually try to help.

[quote]Some get around it by asking for others (via another thread) for a reply in order to be able to reset the count. Which WIP application is yours?

State of things these days is that many issues have to be dealt with via work-arounds rather than changes to the site, due to its age and inflexibility.
[/quote]
@philfrei thats exactly what I don’t want to do. I don’t want to beg for atention, that would cause only single-line replies, instead of usefull, constructive critique.

Thanks for your interest in this post, it’s nice to see, that I am not the only one who thinks this way :slight_smile:

I don’t like the limit and have hit it a few times myself. It’s not great especially as the forum is a bit quiet these days, so it effectively punishes the few people who are posting.

Is the relaunch of the forum still a thing? As far as i know @SHC was working on that? Maybe that rule can be adapted within the new version?

Quick workaround:
Merge previous posts into one and post new one.