Compressing chunk of tile data?

I need to compress a 32x32 chunk of tile data. The data consists of 1 byte for the terrain type, and 1 short for a detail tile (second layer essentially). The terrain tiles are very continuous, while most detail tiles are 0 (null). What would a good compression method?

Here’s my current idea:

1. Reorder data into z-curve order or Hilbert curve order to improve spatial coherency

2. Run length encode data using a special repeat byte/short value (say Byte/Short.MAX_VALUE) followed by number of repetitions, like this:
    baaaaab —> ba*5b

3. Compress data using a precomputed Hilbert code. The idea is to precompute several Hilbert trees from statistical data from a lot of worlds based on the two most common tiles in the chunk, so there’ll be one tree for each biome essentially. The chunk encodes a byte for which tree to use, then the encoded data. The RLE symbol is encoded in the tree, but the RLE count could be encoded using a different huffman code tree specifically for RLE counts.

My question is: Would this beat the DEFLATE compression I’m currently using? Is it even worth trying to implement this? I feel like DEFLATE should have problems compressing small chunks of data like this as it tries to learn about the data as it goes. Also, would it make sense to use delta encoding here?