Competition teams...

(for people who want to get together in teams; thread for trying to find other people etc)

Firstly, based on other “small team” projects and competitions I’ve done, I’d suggest you need the following people in each team. This might be helpful to anyone who’s not entered short team comps before (but feel free to ignore me :)):

[] Manager: there is a tight time-frame here, and a no-extension deadline. You absolutely must have someone who is watching the progress and choosing to cut features as necessary to ensure you complete. IMHO and IME this is the most important person, assuming you have even one person who can program. Bear in mind that a crap game that is completed on time at least gets judged, whereas a great game that misses the deadline doesn’t even get that far (e.g. if the installer doesn’t work, it gets disqualified automatically)
[
] Low-level coder: anything and everything performance-sensitive. Not worth trying any non-trivial game unless you have someone who’s good enough at coding to do this. For this comp probably means core rendering, OpenGL, and input
[] High-level coder: game-logic, GUI (menuing system, startup, install, etc). Usually fine to have a relative newbie developer in this position; usually there’s time for them to largely learn as they go.
[
] Artist: grahpics :), logo, splash screen, layout of menus, overall design, placement and design of in-game HUD, colour-schemes etc

I’ve left off the following obvious other roles:

[] Musician: for some reason (don’t ask me!) the standard of music and SFX in games is still very low (compared to GFX); people’s expectations are not high even for a commercial game, so for a compo game you can get away with just a handful of sound effects.
[
] 3D / 2D / networking / AI programmers: from experience it’s pretty useless to partition like this unless you’re confident of getting one expert in each (which isn’t realistic in these situations). Work out who’s doing what, but don’t specifically feel you absolutely must have a dedicated 3D programmer, for instance.

Wanted: 3D modeller, 2D texture painter, sound FX

To work on the second game described here:

http://www.java-gaming.org/cgi-bin/JGNetForums/YaBB.cgi?board=contest;action=display;num=1080689099

We have a producer (me) and a 3D programmer (JavaCoolDude), and have our schedule all planned out.

Also, if you think you could add something that we haven’t already got, or which would be helpful, email me (ceo at grexengine.com).