Community project starting - is it worth a shot?

So first of all, this is my first post here so hello guys :slight_smile:

So there’s the thing - I like playing MOBA games (DotA, HoN, LoL), and i think there’s still market for them but not those ripped off DotA. Some of You probably remember that original DotA was Warcraft III map with custom scenario and that there was shitload of others like that. There were few nice and really playable more casual MOBA: Battle Ships, Battle Tanks, Naval Combat, Desert Combat etc. A screenshot for those who don’t know or remember:

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/193/hqvq.jpg

The difference here is you have a ship/tank that ain’t limited to one player and you can change it to bigger and better one when you get more gold. And there are almost no skills, no targeting enemy, You just load cannons onboard that shoot automatically random enemies within range. It sounds quite stupid but really its still quite hardcore manuvering gameplay and almost flat learning curve - no heroes to learn, everything at store etc. Also there were some trading missions to be completed with paper thin trating boats :slight_smile:

A year ago, just before Heroes of Order and Chaos appeared on E3(i think) i started thinking of implementing one of those(Battle Ships) for mobiles. The main idea is that the controls for this type of gameplay are really simple - just moving ship and trading stuff at base - so they are ideal for mobiles. I did some coding with libGDX in my free time and made a prototype with little help of a friend. It looks like this:

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/9023/4nj3.jpg

If You want to check it out here’s the link for webGL browser (no multiplayer) version http://kacperpl1.github.io/battleships/
controlls on screen and/or wsad/arrows, shop icon on the center of left edge(items can be traded while being near base, drag and drop), minimap You can scroll the view with.

Yeah, compared to the original one it looks like crap - its 2D and I’m no artist :stuck_out_tongue: but it works at least a bit.

It has some simple network implementation made with cryoNet by my friend and works over internet. There’s just attack and movement mechanics, almost no gameplay there. It has simple fog of war implemented, some particles and simple waves on water made with shader. Network game work on simply sending player input over the net and simulation is deterministic(at least should be, there probably are some bugs still to find), based on box2D physics.

What needs to be done:
-reimplementation of network backend - we could use recently released google play game services.
-most of the gameplay - frags, gold, frag series, stats keeping etc
-some mechanics - like complex fog of war(optional)
-creep AI and pathfinding
-communication interface(multiplayer chat and fast commands)
-graphic art, level with complex collisions, sound

Also I believe that with libGDX we could go for 3D ship models instead of spritesheets.

About why I’m thinking of going for community project with this: I think the problem with this game is that It can’t be monetized unless it gets really popular. No publisher will touch it not knowing if it will get them profit. I don’t have enough time now or money to leave my job to finish it myself and I do believe that it wouldn’t be a commercial success made by single indie dev, however I don’t wanna trash this project yet.

So my question is: Do You think it’s worth a shot and are You interested in participating in such project?