CommandAction, Forms, and Command.OK w/o the send key

Hi all,

Got a question about Forms and key input.

CommandAction is triggered with Commands that I add. I have added a Command for when the OK key is pressed

namely: Command enterGame = new Command( “Random”, Command.OK, 0 );

Then I add the command to the form:
GameForm.addCommand( enterGame );

Then whenever that option is selected it fires off Command.OK to the CommandAction function

However on some phones, (im not sure if others are the same way) that Command.OK is fired off not only when the OK key is pressed, but also when the Send Key is pressed.

The Send key on this particular phone is keycode -11 and the middle softkey is -23, but they both trigger it.
In the CommandAction function I am looking for a way to distinguish which button they used to get it to come in.

I am able to check the keycode in the keypress function for everything else, but in the form it uses those commands.

basically i need to do this:

Command enterGame = new Command( “Game”, Command.OK, 0 );
GameForm.addCommand(enterGame);

public void commandAction( Command c, Displayable d )
{

//check if the commandAction event is triggered by enterGame
 if( c == enterGame)
 {
    // check which button they used to get it to trigger
    //if(send key was pressed)
       return;
    //else
        enterState(game);
   }

}

I’ve just recently read that it is impossible to detect key presses within a form.
So now what I would like to do is disable the send key from having any function in Forms, so that it never calls CommandAction with the Command.SCREEN or Command.OK command type.

Impossible, either don’t use Forms or don’t rely on the functionality they provide being consistent. across handsets.

Having said that, one suggestion that may help is to simply change the Command type of the softkey.
I know for definite that SamsungA620’s report a commandAction event on a Canvas if the Canvas.FIRE action is pressed & either softkey has a Command type of OK attached to it.

Yeah, that wouldnt work for me as I just started porting games at a company and the game uses forms as well as canvas’s. It would just be nice functionality to have as the send key shouldnt have functionality within j2me games, but is just a recommendation. Removing it from the canvas is quite easy. Thanks for replying Abuse.

Like Abuse said, you cannot catch the problem because you only have the command listener.

I do recall a problem with canvas and softkeys though. Think it was with some of the exotic devices (motorola or samsung) and that you had to use commands for them.