ClearDialogue: branching dialogue editor for video games (JDialogue 2.0)

Hello everyone, this is the second half of my drop of the tools I’ve been working on for the past few weeks.

This is the renamed 2.0 version of JDialogue, my branching dialogue editor. The main difference is that this version of the software is running on my new backend, Clear; hence the new name. This transition removes almost all of the arbitrary technical limits that were imposed by using JavaFX as a backend, meaning that now the sky is the limit for future additions and new features.

Github Repository Link:

Features include:

General

• Should be compatible with any coding language (however the UI itself is only in English, if you’d like a translated version, please let us know and we’ll see about adding support for it)
  • Supports both normal dialogue and dialogue responses
  • Use the node-based system to connect these and make complex branching dialogue paths
  • Has a game API that can be referenced directly from your Java-based game for even further simplicity of use
  • Lightweight and simple to use
  • Custom backend that’s sturdy and reliable

IO

• Supports JSON exporting/importing
  • Is heavily documented with instructions on how to add support for your own filetypes (it’s also extremely simple)

Tools

• Supports quickly merging projects together into single files
  • Has basic replace/find tools that support refactoring within the current project
  • Use grid snapping to keep nodes aligned neatly in the project
  • Move multiple nodes at once, allowing for projects to be quickly edited on a large scale
  • Add/Remove tags to/from multiple nodes at once
  • Change the name of multiple nodes at once (for systematic naming)
  • Supports implementing custom syntax highlighting (I.E. highlighting text commands from your particular engine)

Documentation

• Includes test applications in the source code showing how to implement ClearDialogue into your games
  • Code-base is highly documented and easy to follow
  • Code-base is highly customizable and easy to modify

Thanks for checking out ClearDialogue, and I hope it’s helpful to some of you with your own projects!!

Added scaling support to the canvas. The scaling tools used for ClearDialogue are also available in ClearVG/ClearWindows:

And with that, ClearDialogue is now feature complete and officially superior to the old JavaFX version, JDialogue.

Released ClearDialogue binaries just now:

As of now you no longer have to clone the repo to have access to the tools.

Thanks for the updates, I appreciate your work!