Card Pyong - Play almost any card game online!

Card Pyong is an online multiplayer game that essentially gives you a virtual deck of cards to play around with. It allows up to 4 players to join a room and play together. Most of the functions that you can perform on a regular deck and on the individual cards are available (check the site below for an overview of all that you can do in the game).

You don’t need to make an account and all that, you can login as a guest and play straight away. The game is still being developed and more features will be added soon. It may still have bugs, so if you happen to find any, please let me know (:

Powered by LibGDX and Kryonet. Available as an applet and a runnable jar download.
http://www.gamepyong.com/card_pyong/index.php

[Pyong is a slang term where I’m from for someone who is addicted to things like games… in case you were wondering (:]

Well, it works as far as I can see.

The virtual deck is a bit high maintenance though, it’s not super easy to work with although it seems to have all the essential stuff.

Being a virtual deck it also doesn’t check any rules or have any rules for that matter, anyone can edit the deck in real time willy nilly.

The Virtual Deck is a nice idea but for anyone to really utilize it I suggest you add full on games with rules etc with automatic shuffling and placement of cards etc.

Otherwise the login and room creation and multiplayer aspects seemed to work flawlessly.

The chat doesn’t support links or selecting text (for copy pasting).

Also I didn’t figure out how to add the money on the table into your bank so it all got spread about a bit on the table. Some in game tips and or help would probably be of much use. Took me a while to figure out to right click the deck for stuff like shuffling and flipping cards for instance.

Looks good so far.

Hi, thanks for trying it out!

I agree with you; the manipulation takes a while to get used to. There are shortcuts on the website for most of the actions which makes the process a bit easier.

[quote]Being a virtual deck it also doesn’t check any rules or have any rules for that matter, anyone can edit the deck in real time willy nilly.
[/quote]
This is actually a conscious design decision; there are some card games which rely on this very fact.

[quote]The Virtual Deck is a nice idea but for anyone to really utilize it I suggest you add full on games with rules etc with automatic shuffling and placement of cards etc.
[/quote]
I thought about this, but decided against it for now because I wanted to give the players as much control over how they play their card games as I could. Some people have different ways of playing the same game and I wanted people to be able to play exactly how they like to play.

Looks pretty neat- didn’t get to play against anyone else, but everything looked very nice.

Out of curiosity, for the networking side, do you have a server running somewhere that you use for match making? Any references on what you used to handle the networking (I’ve used kyronet, but only for server+multi client connections).

Looks like it would be lots of fun! And with LibGDX and kyronet you could publish it as a android app, where multiplayer games seem to be doing well right now.

Thanks for playing! The server is a kryonet server hosted on the Rackspace cloud.
I used some simple lock-step synchronization for the networking.
I might look at producing an android version soon.

Awesome, thanks for the reply!

Another thing you might want to think about is tying the multiplayer somehow in with the facebook API, so that they can “invite friends”, ect.
It seems sort of gimmicky, but in truth it helps spread the application, and I know friends that only play some of the mutliplayer turn based games (like words with friends) because they can play with friends from Facebook.

Check out some of them on the play store for ideas if you haven’t already- “word with friends” was huge, “Ruzzle” is a top paid one (which looks like an easier version of Words with Friends).

You can also deploy to the “Chrome store”, which might also get you more exposure. I put a test, simple app up there awhile ago, and it gets a decent number of views. You still host it on your site, it just allows they to install a link on their chrome home page to your “app”.

Games these days seem to be a lot about exposure.

Thanks for the suggestions :slight_smile:

I’ll definitely look at the chrome store option. But first it looks like I’m going to have to put in a tutorial of some sort, since most people just login, make a room and then don’t know what to do. So I’ll have to walk people through it.