Can't figure out Android...

I’m just completely stumped with this Android development stuff…

First off, the emulators don’t seem to work… I have set one up and even set up HAXM (after alot of pain getting VT-x working…) but when I launch something as simple as the Android Wear, it just takes forever up to the point where I have given up waiting after a long time…

Second, I thought I might try running it on my Android… But I can’t get it to Build… It tells me this:

Error:A problem occurred configuring project ':mobile'.
> Could not resolve all dependencies for configuration ':mobile:_debugCompile'.
   > A problem occurred configuring project ':wear'.
      > Could not resolve all dependencies for configuration ':wear:_debugCompile'.
         > Could not find any version that matches com.google.android.support:wearable:+.
           Required by:
               MyApplication:wear:unspecified
         > Could not find any version that matches com.google.android.gms:play-services-wearable:+.
           Required by:
               MyApplication:wear:unspecified

I have these packages installed:

• Android SDK tools
  • Android SDK platform-tools
  • Android SDK build-tools
  • Android 4.4w SDK platform and system images
  • Android 4.4.2 SDK platform and system images
  • Android support repository
  • Android support library
  • Google USB driver
  • Intel x86 Emulator Accelerator (HAXM installer)

Can someone plz help me here? This is making my head hurt… Thx in advance…

EDIT: just to note out, I kept the AVD running and it is still launching with the shining Android logo

You should try GenyMotion. Its really fast Android Emulator. (It is free for personal use)

I’ll have a look at it… But can I easily use this through Android Studio? Also, if I wanted to, can I emulate Android wear, Android TV, etc.?

Just figured out the for some reason the Intel (apparently ‘improved’) ones don’t seem to work but the other ones do…

Nvm, got emulation working… didn’t really know what was going wrong but it seems to be working now…

But why can’t I build my project?

Emulator has nothing to do with building your project.

Ik… But if you look at the post, I had two problems and one of them is fixed but I still can’t figure out the other one…

You’ve just butted your heard into the unfortunate new reality of Android development, which is that where it was once exceedingly simple to jump into (with Eclipse and Ant), the new world of Android Dev with Gradle and Android Studio is a terribly beginner-unfriendly construct.

Unless you want to build something that uses Wear, I would strongly recommend uninstalling that API, and just use the regular 5.0 API for development (alternatively API 19, but I’ve not noticed any problems with the 5.0 API yet, so I’d say it’s OK).

Without seeing your build files, it’s hard to say what you’re doing wrong. I’d suggest cleaning out your SDK’s to the exact ones you need, and then try over again with a freshly-generated project. If you’re still having problems, I’d suggest going on Stackoverflow with them. You’ll get a lot faster answers.

Also - never, ever use the emulators - they are practically useless. Use your own Android device(s) for testing.

Ha ha, I can’t figure out emulators either. I use AIDE and develop directly on my tablet.

Skip the emulator and use a real hardware, if possible.
You won’t regret it.

If I feel the need, I tend to go with BlueStacks. Tried also HAXM, but the speed gain was marginal (but the speed loss on my OSX was noticiable)