Bunny Golf

Hi, folks!

This is just a prototype, not a complete game, so please forgive the crude graphics, etc.

http://www.dishmoth.com/BunnyGolf.html

I’d appreciate any suggestions as to how you think the game should develop from here.

To play, just grab a bunny’s tail using the mouse. Pull back, take aim, and… release!

There aren’t any formal rules to the game, but two players taking alternate turns seems to work pretty well. For one player, pick a bunny and imagine you’re playing golf (it’s about par 3 for each hole).

Cheers,
Simon

nice start… only annoying thing is that you can’t shoot with full (or at all) intensity when close to a wall

Plays very well.

I agree with Kova about the shoot next to wall. Could be considered a feature, but I think it would be nicer if you can shoot max power next to wall as well. AI and human opponent via lan/web would be a really big plus. On-line leaderboard would probably also be fun. Tail could be a bit bigger, to make it easier to grab it. Gfx is quite ok for this type of game.

Greets,
J

What a charming idea! How about some moving obstacles - hedgehogs maybe?

Indeed. Very fun to play this game. You should definately add some highscore system,
real levels and so on.

One graphical enhancement could be to make the players sprite bigger / to zoom it when
you got over a darker green area ( which should represent the heightness I think ).

Anyway - really looking forward to see your game evolving. Well done !!!

Thanks for the comments, folks!

Ah, okay. That was intended to be a feature, but if enough people find it annoying (and it’s beginning to sound like they do) then I’ll have to rethink it.

Could do – I think I’m just about up to the task of drawing hedgehogs! But I’m in two minds as to whether to fill up the game with unusual (gimmicky?) obstacles like in mini-golf/crazy-golf, or to leave it as a serious (well, not that serious) golf game.

Cheers,
Simon

Thats good fun. :slight_smile:

How about adding contours to the holes? It would be a reasonably “serious” addition and it’d add quite a bit of variety of shots if you could deliberately use the slopes to your advantage.

if the bunny ends right next to the wall and in rough grass it takes like 2-3 shots just to get him out :slight_smile:

You could just shoot the bunny towards the wall and he’ll bounce off. The collisions are fairly (if not entirely) elastic.

Edit: Nvm. Just got stuck near a wall and it’s still quite hard to get out of that position. Cool game though.

[quote=“dishmoth,post:6,topic:29630”]
;D Are you kidding? Your game is cute! Play it up - about the 3rd/4th hole have a hedgehog wandering about, bunny hits hedgehog, bunny squeaks and bounces off in random direction, hedgehog looks shocked - laughs all round!
I got to the 4th hole before I thought ‘OK, I’ve got the idea…’ Something new would have kept my interest for maybe 2/3 more holes - after that you could add a new ingredient - maybe a fox chasing, so you have to play quicker? It’s all about maintaining the players interest… Face it; Bunny Golf is never going to be serious!

First time I played it I didn’t know that you can move both the rabbits and I was trying to hit the “motionless” rabbit with the other one so that I move it in the hole ;D . When close to a wall you can send the rabbit towards the wall and it will r bounce back.Great Game ! :wink:

Nice idea! I’ll try some experiments along those lines – but I suspect it will be difficult to make the graphics for the slopes convincing.

Interesting interpretation! But hey, if it’s a fun way of playing the game then maybe it can become a new game mode! :smiley:

Cheers,
Simon

Update:

I’ve tweaked the game mechanics a bit so that getting stuck near a wall should be less of an issue. (Among other things: the tail can extend a little way into the wall when you pull it back, and the dark grass is a bit less sticky during launch.) Do tell me if you don’t think these changes go far enough.

Also - more excitingly - the game is now wired for sound! This is my first attempt at messing with Java Sound, so please tell me if there are any problems with it (except for the sound effects being rubbish, of course ;)).

Cheers,
Simon

It’s an interesting game but the had can be quite ambiguous and it often feels like I am scratching a box for a pinhole when attempting to move a bunny.

Maybe extend the distance you can pick up the tail from and make the bunny glow when you can move it.

Hmm, yes, I can certainly make the hand less fussy when it’s grabbing a tail. I’ll have to see what else I can do to make it clearer what’s going on. Maybe the game needs a very basic tutorial at the start to explain the tail-grabbing procedure?

Thanks for the comments!
Simon

Update:

The latest version is slightly more polished and features distinct one- and two-player modes. The next step is to give it some proper levels.

Just thought you’d like to know…
Simon

Looking pretty good so far. I’m looking forward to the finished version.

What did you use to create front page menu? I’m at a point with my current project where I want to create something that looks pretty similar.

Hi, askoruli. Thanks for the comments.

The menu’s not anything clever. The game loop for the menu just creates a few button ‘sprite’ objects, then waits for those buttons to say that they’ve been clicked. The buttons themselves are defined by RoundRectangle2D shapes (from java.awt.geom). Those shapes are drawn on the screen (with different fill colours and line widths depending on the button’s state) and are also used to determine (through the contains() function) whether the mouse pointer is over the button. The text on a button is just a standard Java font, predrawn onto a BufferedImage for speed (although that’s probably not a big issue in practice).

As I say, it’s nothing particularly clever, but I can give more details if there’s something specific you’re wondering about.

Simon

Nice game. I just got one of my colleagues hooked while we wait for a meeting :slight_smile:

Nice! I think you should include some kind of visual reward for getting a hole-in-one :slight_smile: