[Browser MMO] 3D front-end for existing web game

Project name:

Theogonia

Team name:

No Team Name yet, but if everything works out we might start a company or include the team in the existing company of one of the team members.

Brief description:

Theogonia is a working web based round strategy MMO. To get a bigger advantage on the hug browser game market it was decided that the old 2D world map of the game should be replaced by one made entirely in 3D.
The development of this 3D front-end had come quite far, but sadly came to a bit of a stop. This is because the main developer doesn’t have enough time to work on the project any more ( at least for the next half year).
So we are searching for a capable developer who can improve and develop the code base further to complete the 3D front-end.

Target aim:

• finish a working 3D world map for the game

after this important step, we see how well the game will perform on the market and are deciding based on this what the next goal should be.

Compensation:

At the moment we have multiple interested publisher which would like to include us in their 2012 lineup. Based on your work and the budget we might get you will get compensated.

Technology:

Our target platform is the Web, the game will be played in a browser and because of that we decided to use Java applets.
The back-end is programmed in php.

We use an in-house OpenGL framework based on the Java wrapper Jogl.

PS: very far in the future ideas like porting the hole thing to WebGL are in the thinking. Also, ideas to improve the work-flow with new techniques or technologies are very welcome.

Talent needed:

We are searching for someone who likes to not only build new graphic features and game engine technologies but also want to get started in a more serious project were he or she can put his/her experience to work.

requirements are:

• good to very good Java knowledge
  • basic understanding of OpenGL
  • good software engineering skills to build a simple engine, build tools, game mechanics and client server communication

Pluses are:

• svn
  • Netbeans IDE
  • Ant build system

Team structure:

In the moment the team has three members. One who build the back-end, all the web related tech, and also manages all the IT infrastructure(Servers, Website …). the second also helps with the Web front-end, but mainly is focused on organizing the team, public relations and talking with business partners, like external artist or publishers. And finally I, who had build the 3D “engine” so far, but who also have to take a pause for a while. I would of course support the new Member to get started and help with things here and there.

www.theogonia.de

Contacts:

dh@theogonia.de

Previous Work by Team:

Everybody on the team has his real job in the IT sector or is stuying in this field. This project is now running for several years improving constantly.

Additional Info:

Theogonia is a browser based MMO strategy game. The setting of the game is settled in the ancient Rome and Greece. You are playing as a God which tries to bring his people to victory by either building huge cities or defeating the enemies in battle with huge armies as well with god powers and mythological creatures.

The game is played in rounds and on tiles, but the resolution of both is quite high. the game rounds are quite short and on one tile only one building can be placed. There are also buildings like walls to block player movement. Another cool feature in the planing are terraforming powers like volcanoes.

ANY

hi still searching for anyone with interest in helping out^^
I just was reminded about this post cause, I started doing more work for this project again.

I refactored all the non game depended stuff out in its own modules, feel free to have a look at https://github.com/Danny02/DarwinsBox.

I would be cool to find somebody helping with build tools, “compiling” resources in other formats, game logic stuff and also rendering stuff if interested.

cheers

Hi

I just get a black screen with most of WebGL demos I tested, I advise you to go on using JOGL 2.0 as it is just more mature and more reliable.

Where is the LWJGL-love? :frowning: