Blocks That Matter

Came across this polished little Java game, which IMO belongs in the featured section.

[tr] [td]

[/td] [td]You are the Tetrobot: a tiny robot that can drill blocks of matter one by one, collect them, and recycle them into new pieces of 4 blocks. You also have the possibility to destroy lines of 8+ blocks in a very «retro russian» game style.

Sand, wood, stone, obsidian, iron, diamond: each matter has its specific behaviour you’ll have to use wisely and take advantage of them. So get ready to use your brain and combine your platforming and puzzle-solving skills in this incredible mashup!

http://www.youtube.com/v/Ekx80MnQug4[/td][/tr]

The game is available on Windows, Linux, Mac, Xbox Live, Steam, Desura, Indievania, etc.

A playable demo can be found here.

Games website found here.

Ah yeah I’ve seen this game a while ago. That’s really cool that they finally finished it!

How they support xbox?

They made it in XNA Game Studio.

Also just learned that ‘Blocks That Matter’ was the winner of Microsofts Dream.Build.Play 2011 Challenge winning $40,000.00. It also uses LWJGL for the Windows, Mac and Linux versions.

The games is also now part of the Humble Voxatron Bundle, pretty nice bargin IMO.

A quick comment on humblebundle?

Sounds awesome. Never heard of it. Sounds a nice business model. Transparency on the prices. WOW. Are those numbers for real? 400k sells?

Kinda dead thread :frowning:

But yes, those numbers are real. The pay-what-you-wish is pretty successful, the Humble Bundle has been around for a while now. As you can see, this game isn’t in the bundle anymore.

why not? Where can you get the bundle with Blocks that Matter?

Do you need an internet connection to play the bundle ? FYI I will never buy a game like Age of Empires online that will be unplayable when the editors decide to pull the plug the server.

OK: i got the info needed at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humble_Indie_Bundle

Not sure I see the point of grumbling about an online requirement for a game that literally has the word “online” in the title. But anyway, the Humble Bundles have no DRM whatsoever. This is a big part of the whole point of Humble Bundle.

Me, I redeemed the steam codes for my bundle because I find it a superior way to manage my games. It’s nice to know I can always install the version on my usb drive though.

i bought the current bundle.

Limbo is really great

Did you get Bastion with your bundle? It’s so awesomely worth it.

yes of course :slight_smile:

Seems nice. But i never was a fan of 3D isometric action games.

Slow RPGs are fine. But fast games like Sonic 3D (Mega-Drive) are not fun, especially on a PC keyboard.

In Bastion, i felt straight away I would forever be annoyed of moving in middle directions compared to Up/Down/Left/Right.

I need a gamepad.

but anyways I prefer dark and mysterious games. Limbo fits the bill perfectly. I feel the urge to play it. Bastion, I can’t bother. Seems like the usual boring hack and slash. I prefer playing flat RPGs like Shining in the Darkness.

Limbo makes me think of Another World / Out of this World. For me Limbo repaid me the bundle’s price.

The game in Bastion is just okay. It’s the art, story, and music that really pull it all together. And yes, it’s about a billion times more fun with an xbox controller.

Very nice. Didn’t see it before.

Bastion is also playable in Chrome for free.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/oohphhdkahjlioohbalmicpokoefkgid