Best approach to an AI for controlling body?

Hi, I am new over here so sorry if I miss some rule.

Context:

• I am making a 3d (or 2.5d) game that is inspired by games like Limbo.
  • I am using jBullet physics (might switch to ode4j) and LWJGL 2 (will update to 3).
  • I am doing all the coding and asset creating so workload is limited.
  • I have 4 years of experience with Java so don’t be afraid to throw terminology on me.

Question:
I hate how in games you have 2-4 randomized animations for actions and cycles.
Since I am all for thinking creatively and creating new things to improve my games I decided that I want an “AI” that would handle the animations for let’s say a human model. (such as for an example, walking/running, swinging an arm to hit a target, jumping, holding on to objects, etc…)
I am pretty sure that fully adaptive AI is a to big fish for me and for any mid-low PC in terms of processing power, so I think that the best way to handle this would be to create a set of hints for the “AI” to help it do tasks. (roughly explain how to walk, prevent falling down, detecting and working with surrounding objects, etc)

Now I am really torn apart on how I would go about doing this. Would a lite neural network be an option? Do I create everything on my own? Are there any projects that already did this? Is this even possible with an acceptable level of quality with todays PCs?

Thanks for reading!
~LapisSea

Maybe I can help a bit. I’m actually the 3D animator and AI/gameplay programmer for some projects.

This kind of AI isn’t impossible, it’s actually how the Euphoria physics system works if you’ve ever heard of that (employed in games like GTA4/5). The problem is that it’s fairly advanced to get working and isn’t worth the effort if you’re working solo. You’d be much better off going a traditional route and just animating a variety of different animations that perform the same task if you want them to look different sometimes.

If you’re really set on it, using neural networks is a decent approach (I’m fairly certain that’s how Euphoria does it). You can also try doing it like the Overgrowth developers (look up their GDC animation presentation).

I wish you luck!