Beetle Mania!

Beetle Mania! is a really cool mini-game from Super Mario RPG. I played it alot when I was younger, so I figured I’d remake it with a few extra features just for kicks and giggles.

Gameplay is simple. move around and shoot. if you hit a shell, it will explode and may cause a chain reaction. the bigger the chain reaction, the more points you get! rack up the biggest score you can in 3 minutes and submit it to the highscore table!

check out the site for more info about the poweups and other things, or you can just play it now.

edit: almost forgot, if your beetle gets hit, tap spacebar repeatedly to revive him. you aren’t limited to lives in this game, you’re limited to how motivated you are to menacingly mash your spacebar. each time you’re hit with a shell, it becomes harder to recover

comments/suggestions welcome

10239!

Cool game, fast paced, quick reacting, nice music =)

Edit: I don’t think HP+1 works though. I got 2 hearts once and then still died in one hit =\

Edit2: 33188! Haven’t even gotten past 1 minute though =P

Edit3: I just read the mashing spacebar “hint”. D’oh. I now got 70829, although I still died around 40 seconds because I hit alt by mistake and brought up that stupid menu >_< didn’t have enough time to revive the poor bug.

I only got 6071

IT seems the HP +1 also does not really work… and I noticed there is three lives… but I cant seem to see and will tend to lose count of how many lives there are … maybe what you can do is to display number of lives?

Edit: 5 mins later I got 14625, I noticed that the game is unable to connect to teh database to update the score

EDit: 10mins later I got 21421, it is confirmed that the game is unable to update in to the database

Nice job on this game! As someone who also enjoys bringing NES/SNES style console games to Java, I admire all of these Mario-based games you’ve been developing lately.

thanks for the nice comments! ;D

i’ll look into the database issue ENC, though it seems to be working for other people.

if you all really are getting 10,000+ points, submit the score! :slight_smile: the highest right now on the board is 6,000-something

did any of you manage to shoot the bob-omb? good score booster :wink:

edit: ENC, there is no set amount of lives in this game. when you die, you need to tap your spacebar repeatedly to revive your beetle. each hit is harder to recover from, but grabbing an HP+1 will make it slightly easier to recover

hmm, ENC, did I see in another post that you’re behind a proxy? not sure how Java handles such things (I’m just using a normal Socket to do the highscore transfer). the feature might be limited to those who are directly connected to the web.

note that firewall users should be fine, it’s all done through HTTP tunneling, but I don’t know if proxies will work… ::slight_smile:

edit: ENC, if you are behind a proxy, try reading this guide on adjusting your proxy settings in Java.

there is a way where I can do it through System properties, but I’d have to write a whole new UI for you to input your proxy information… :-X

I think is ok… if you dont implement a new UI to input the proxy information… cause i am still unable to set high score after setting it… so I will just leave my score on this board if i pass my own score… haha…

Cheers!

Edit: i just got 54287 but cannot beat nva225’s score

cool game runs very well here.

Man… I have to admit… I am crazy about this game… sadly i cant submit my score… >.<

That game rockz ^^ My current best is 24461, thats place 2 for me :slight_smile:

haha i think you are third place for this thread… (Not counting the onces in the high score board… :stuck_out_tongue:

as the nice people of wales-land would say “lush!”

Very nice, enjoyed every second of it…really awsome. Gonna play again actually, I got 10k or so last time, died a few times tho…

Would be cool if you had controller support cause the whole left/right + fire thing is very good for a controller, and the tap things repeatidly has a different feeling on a controller.

My 2 pence :slight_smile:

The game is so addictive…yet my top score is 66192, which is also the current online highscore :slight_smile:

have to break the 100k line…

Not quite to 100k, but check the highscores :slight_smile:

wow nva, that is really close. I’ll have to see how high i can score at my own game.

not that’ll mean much, since i’m sure alot of you will assume I manually edited the database :wink:

haha… maybe you can put fake names with fake scores… and see if you can hit those standards… that will be a good bench mark

check out the highscore table, Smit has taken the lead with 150,944!