Battle Tank 3 --- an old school style RTS (Finished!)

I’ve finally found the time (and will) to complete the last 20% of the project I started more than 4 years ago.

On top of what I already did in 2015, I have created 3 different levels of AI (yes AI really is harder to develop
than the rest of the project), the hardest AI could pose a real challenge even to experienced RTS players. Once
you have defeated the AI, you will be able upload the score for the current difficulty to the internet.

Below are some screen shots of the final version:

This project is completely open source, you can check out the code on github:

Compiled game can be downloaded here:

https://github.com/phu004/test/raw/master/test/BattleTank3.zip

I hope you can find some fun battling against the AI, I will also be interested to know if you figure out any exploits
against the AI in hard difficulty :slight_smile:

==========================Original comment in 2015==========================
Hi guys, I would like to present a game I am working on for quite a while. Its a real time strategy game that is aimed to provide similar gameplay experience to many old school RTS game out there. At the moment I have complete most key components you will find in a classic RTS game.

http://www.freewebs.com/phu004/JavaRTS.png

At the moment, the enemy AI only knows how to construct a basic base and will rush the player with everything it got after a few minutes into the game.

I have uploaded the latest version the game below. The fog of war is disabled for the player, so you will be able to observe the AI’s action in real time. Feel free to give it a try :slight_smile:

Download Link: http://www.freewebs.com/phu004/JavaRTS/JavaRTS.rar

This game has a TON of potential. The animations give me that old school RTS game feel, which I love. The AI (especially the refinery truck) is really cool and it’s just fun to watch it go around and dig and deposit it back.

There wasn’t a control tutorial (that I know of) so it took me some time to figure it out.

It looks really good so far! Keep working on it! :wink:

Reminded me a lot of Red Alert, I really enjoyed the mechanics and feel of it! I really like the ability to rotate the camera with the right and left arrow keys but I would also recommend having up/down zoom in/out of the screen as sometimes I wanted a bigger view of the environment.

Audio would also be nice :slight_smile:

Definitely keep working on it, keep us updated!

Thanks for commeting! The game is heavily influenced by Red alert series, many of the design that I use are directly from the oringal Red Alert, C&C game. The reason for not including “camera up/down” is because my graphic engine rely on a “magic” view distance . At the moment, I don’t have a solution fix it without sacrifising half the framerate.

That is really cool. :slight_smile:

I really like the building animations and how the miners line up to dump their load at the refinery. I like being able to turn the camera. I like the overall structure. Also being able to set the waypoint for mining units and building units separately on buildings is a great idea.

Being able to zoom in and out would be great. Having a resizable window and fullscreen mode would be great too.

I didn’t really like how your money amount counts down slowly though. Generally when games do this, I spend far faster than the counter counts down and I find myself waiting to see how much I have left.

And a question, what is the power rating for? How does it affect me if it’s above 100%?

I would really play this if it was complete and refined. ^^

Now, off to kill those hundreds of tanks…

Hi Husk, The money count down speed scales depends on how fast you spend your money, so it will always shows a reasonably accurate money count in real time.

[quote]And a question, what is the power rating for? How does it affect me if it’s above 100%?
[/quote]
The percentage number is calculated by power consumption/amount of power avaliable, if the number is above 100%, then your production speed is reduced by half.

I will definitely keep refining the game!

Plz for the love of god WASD, other than that. LOOKS AND FEELS GREAT! ;D

The inverse is more intuitive. Show 400% instead of 25%, so that you get into trouble when the ratio is lower than 100%.

Is this a software renderer? I only ask because the window icon is the static Java one. If it is, then those shadows are quite impressive! I’m getting 30 fps on my macbook, and the controls are pretty good :slight_smile: Although I agree that WASD support would be nice!

[quote]The inverse is more intuitive. Show 400% instead of 25%, so that you get into trouble when the ratio is lower than 100%.
[/quote]
Thanks for the suggestion, but i am not sure which way is more intuitive. I guess I will use the “x/y” approach instead of showing the percentage, this way the player will know exactly how much power is needed.

[quote]Is this a software renderer? I only ask because the window icon is the static Java one. If it is, then those shadows are quite impressive! I’m getting 30 fps on my macbook, and the controls are pretty good Smiley Although I agree that WASD support would be nice!
[/quote]
Yeap, its old school style software rendering. Don’t look down the processing power of modern cpus, they have improved as much as gpus :slight_smile: By the way, are you guys suggesting using “WASD” for camera rotation?

Power produced should be the value on top, I agree with Riven on this. And yes WASD would be nicer for camera movement.

This is really cool!
Very well done, keep up the good work!

WASD for camera TRANSLATION. Not rotation ;D.

Very nice !

Download isn’t working :clue:

Since the game was pretty cool, I still have a copy. :slight_smile:

Download not working :persecutioncomplex:

Use the link in my last post. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the link. I got raped by 100+ tanks :o ;D

Heh yeh, you don’t want to move to the sides of your starting area, you’re surrounded. My current approach has been to sneak past them and build in other areas of the map. I haven’t won yet, but some day I will. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for promoting my game ;D and sorry about the old link. I have moved the latest build to my personal website. I have added a few new units/buildings and made some improvement to the UI, feel free to check it out :slight_smile: