Battle Arena: Euro Wars - turn based strategy/action

Hello everyone !

My first 3D project. I chose libgdx for it due to previous experience, but I must say it wasn’t the best choice. Libgdx lacks many 3D solutions. I had to write many own tools and libs for importing models, pathfinding, navmesh etc. The biggest issue was the lack of a proper tool for shaders. With the benefit of hindsight I think I should have chosen JMonkey for the project. Anyway I managed to put everything together and release it. I took me about 6 months to make it.

The game is available only on Steam platform. I ship the game along with the jre. It isn’t a problem except for the exe file which runs the jar. It was flagged by some antivirus softwares (below 5%). I don’t find it an issue but everyone should take it into consideration when packaging the game along with the jre.

Libs

The game is a pure libgdx project except for two libs StraightEdge for pathfinding and Steamworks4j for Steam’s achievements. The latter took me about a week to implement. Both libs lack proper documentation though. Implementation of these libs relies mainly on using the trial and error method.

Game

The game is a turn-based-click-to-move strategy. 3 levels. 14 characters. Initially it was an online multiplier game, but it turned out to be too problematic. Not from a technological point of view, but with finding proper amount of players willing to play at the same time. I ended up with bots which works quite nice.

Tools

I developed the game in Eclipse which seems quite natural for libgdx. I also used Blender and MakeHuman for characters. The game consist of 3 levels made in Blender and imported via fbx and g3db using a python script. It’s a nice solution which works better than what JMonkeys offers.

If you have any questions regarding the game or releasing to Steam I will be happy to answer.

Download

Check out the game on Steam and please follow me on twitter for news, updates, re-tweets, pics, info & more on my new projects.

Steam

Twitter

Screenshots