Astro Battle 2

Hello fellow users/developers of Xith.

I have recently launched a beta of Astro Battle 2 using the XITH engine. (AB1 was written entirely in JAVA using 2d sprites)

check out the latest release: http://astrobattle.com/ab2.jsp

I am a huge Fan of Xith and really appreciate the effort that this community has put forth to make these tools available to us indie Devs. Thanks guys!

I’ll check it out the next days. Is there a Linux version available? Will the final version be freely available?

Thanks for using Xith3D. :). Good to see, that there’re people out there using xith.

Is the source code available somewhere? Did you use the HUD or SwingGUI? Did you use (Ext)RenderLoop or (Ext)Xith3DEnvironment, etc?

Marvin

Hi uberscott !

It’s great you use Xith3D and I like the design of your game (impressive screenies, aren’t they…). A Linux release would be great, so that Marvin and I can test it 8)

Thanks for sharing your game.

I use your new HUD system in the piloting portion of the game, Marvin. I’m quite glad you added that in the last release :slight_smile:

Everywhere else I use SwingGui, it is slower, but the rest of my game is not as performance hungry as the piloting portion.

I did not use ExtRenderLoop or Xith3DEnvironment. I have written my own custom Rendering loop which is integrated with my custom Network data transfer layer.

The game will be free forever. I do sell an expansion pack with the game to make some revenue. If you guys sign up, tell me your membernames and I will comp you the expansion pack… you have certainly helped me out.

It may be a while before I get a Linux client release out. I use linux for all of the online servers, but i don’t have a desktop linux currently.

Anyway, great meeting you guys and I hope to be more involved in the forums from now on.

nice…nice…nice…need to play more before commenting ;D

Ooups. Should have read this thread before the other one. Cool, that you’re using the HUD. Do you use the current SVN code or version 0.8.0? I have improved the HUD very much since 0.8.0. Many Widgets have been added, theming support, etc…

Well, Xith3DEnvironment integrates perfectly into any environment working without it. It just saves a lot of code lines. (Ext)RenderLoop can be extended and just handles the render loop part for you (and much more). Your custom network code can then be easily set on top of it.

Great. I’ll do that next week.

Hmm… Making a Windows only version is just something more that creating a platform independent app in Java. I guess you have an exe file, that calls the Java Virtual Machine to actually run the game. Just offer a start shell skript to run the game. Should be quite simple. If you told me, which class is to be started, I could write you such a shell skript.

Do you know our new board on xith.org? We’re currently trying to move to this board.

Marvin

I can create a linux installer easy, but i need to test it first. Java in my experience is “write once, test everywhere” usually when i run on Mac os X or Linux there are a few issues to resolve before i can do a public release. I’m focused on Windows right now because that is the majority of my user base.

I’ll check out the new forums!

Is there a link you can provide for me that will show all the information I need to get the latest Xith code from SVN?

http://www.xith.org/forum/index.php?topic=8.0