Asteroid Alert!

A 4K universe welcomes careful pilots in Asteroid Alert!

http://www.hayles.demon.co.uk/4K/asteroids/screenshot.gif

A sort of cross between Asteroids and Elite. Have fun!

Very cool! Great job with the graphics!

It’s cool the ship rotates, but it’s also annoying the ship can’t turn!

Anyway, this game is really fun after you get used to not being able to turn

It’s what Elite 2: Frontier called the ‘elite’ control method :wink:

Nice graphics, but the gameplay is abit repetitive for my taste.
Turn it into an open universe exploration & trading game, and I’d be much more engrossed :smiley:

Very cool graphics. I can’t seem to control this thing though. :-\

I’d much prefer it if left/right turned instead of rolled.

That said, I love it! The graphics are great and very atmospheric, the asteroids look superb, and so does the planet. Amazing feeling.
Of course, I haven’t beaten level 1 yet, but I think it’s got great potential with some better controls.

Also, I’d pay for a full game with trading and so, with this feeling of slightly claustrophobic space travel.

Same with everyone else, the roll was sort of weird but once I got used to it I had little trouble. Very cool job with the graphics, but I also agree that it’s a bit too repetitive.

I getz dissy! ;D

I tried pan rather than roll & it kills the vibe - elite controls are ‘it’ for this.

[quote=“Markus_Persson,post:5,topic:32734”]
I bask in your praise, oh Master! ;D

[quote=“Markus_Persson,post:5,topic:32734”]
In advance? ::slight_smile:

Hmmm… I guess it’s a bit repetitive… I put the faster (orange) ones in to try and liven it up, but I agree it’s a bit samey at first. It does get pretty intense at wave 3+ then almost impossible at wave 5+, but it’s not enough! How to up playability? I’m not sure I can get a trading system in the remaining 10 bytes…

Cool idea to mix asteroids and elite!

Controls are fine, just the way they should be! I played Elite (some 100 years ago) so that´s probably why the radar and controls did not feel odd to me.

+1 on trading and repetitive though.
It would probably be very cool to fight some semi randomly moving space fighters through a asteroid field, but that could be tight with 10 b left :slight_smile:

Well, you’ve already got variables for the speed of the engines and rolling, right? And variables for the speed of the asteroids? Then all you need to add a bit more functionality is to have a screen where you can spend money earned by felling asteroids on upgrading your craft / slowing the asteroids. Then maybe level 5+ won’t be impossible and it will get more fun.

Very nice. I like the Elite look.

I’m okay with the Elite-style controls, but up and down are a bit too sensitive for my liking.

Tried the game, as the screenshot looked rather nice.
However the game failed to deliver any response for quite some time and i got impatient and refreshed.
Refreshing gave the following error in my java console:

[quote]Exception in thread “Thread-10” java.lang.NullPointerException
at AA.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
[/quote]

• Scarzzurs

I get a lot of random flashes. My best guess is that it’s to do with the frustrum clipping. Adding a near plane if you don’t already have one should fit in 10 bytes…

Great work, I especially like the comet particles!

Regarding requests for a open-universe space trade game: I’ve been working on Elite4K since December, I think it’s what some of you are looking for. Trade simulation and UI done, currently applying finishing touches to the 3D engine, 150 bytes left ;D Will publish next week.

Cheers

Wolfgang

Excellent 3D graphics. Love the spherical mapping. Perhaps you can describe the algorithm used here. Also, how did you create the blue-green, earth-like mapping? The ship is difficult to control, though I did manage to destroy all the asteroids. How about some enemies and some easier things to shoot at?