Assassins 4k

The chief of police wants to see you in his office about the recent spate of gangland murders of top public officials. The mayor wants results, so get on the streets and collect some evidence. Search the city for a bloodstain providing evidence of a gangland murder. As you progress in uncovering more evidence, you are in turn increasingly targeted and may have to fight back to survive.

Movement: Cursor Keys
Fire Gun: Space Bar

http://www.java4k.com/index.php?action=games&method=view&gid=284
(Link not active yet as game just submitted and awaiting approval)

oh wow, thats very impressive and pretty for a 4k game.

Nice one!

The winning strategy seems to be: shoot everybody :slight_smile:

You can also survive by finding each bloodstain in quick succession as the assassins have to go and report after you obtain a new clue, so the rate of attack drops off for a few seconds. However if you can’t find the next bloodstain in a couple of seconds, then it’s time to start shooting on later levels. I was considering penalising you for shooting unarmed citizens, but haven’t so far…

Graphics are awesome. Cube-based games look like they might be a real winner for graphics in 4K.

The graphics are beautiful. Controls feel slightly weird (moving with the arrows in iso-view, specifically), and I agree with Riven about the strategy, but it’s definitely impressive.

Thanks everyone for their kind comments. Making this entry was lots of fun. The static objects are vertical extrusions in up to 4 colours and use 40 data bytes each. The people are a cylindrical mesh extruded as spokes from the vertical axis, again in 4 colours and also use 40 bytes each (per animation frame). These data structures are prerendered as bill-boards which are then used in a painters algorithm drawing routine. This data and the map data is string encoded (5 chars to one Integer). Enemy AI is based on the A* algorithm using each ground square as a room with up to 4 portals.

I would like to make all citizen’s killed immediately respawn (offscreen) as a hostile. This would discourage indiscriminate firing in the early levels. After level 25 everyone’s hostile, so the only effect is to prevent the player clearing the level prior to looking for the end-of-level bloodstain square. The only problem is finding some more bytes (currently 4096), as I’ve pulled most of the available rabbits out of the hat!

I might experiment with rotating the controls 45 degrees, but this would require two keys to be pressed simultaneously to move in the game major axes, so might not be an improvement. Also, it would mess with the sliding logic, which needs controls in game axes, so this would need a mapping layer, which given the lack of space, isn’t likely.

I’m bored, so here is the Assassins4k Map Editor

Controls:
0-9,A-F: Create object
Page Down: Collision Detection Off
Page Up: Collision Detection On

At the moment you can’t play in the editor - sorry.