Arrow Runner 2.0

Arrow Runner is finally here, available to all for free on PC and Mac.

Download - http://embulum.com/ArrowRunner.jar

hey,

just tried it, the game freezes after 1 or two seconds, here is the exception I have :

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "301,33"
        at sun.misc.FloatingDecimal.readJavaFormatString(FloatingDecimal.java:1222)
        at java.lang.Double.valueOf(Double.java:475)
        at com.embulum.UpdateManager.getAFPS(UpdateManager.java:150)
        at com.embulum.UpdateManager.update(UpdateManager.java:63)
        at com.embulum.Game.paint(Game.java:50)
        at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(RepaintManager.java:797)
        at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(RepaintManager.java:714)
        at javax.swing.RepaintManager.prePaintDirtyRegions(RepaintManager.java:694)
        at javax.swing.RepaintManager.access$700(RepaintManager.java:41)
        at javax.swing.RepaintManager$ProcessingRunnable.run(RepaintManager.java:1636)
        at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:646)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.access$000(EventQueue.java:84)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(EventQueue.java:607)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(EventQueue.java:605)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(AccessControlContext.java:87)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:616)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:174)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:169)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:161)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)

I’m running the game under windows 7 64bit with java 1.6.0_32-b05
I hope it helps :wink:

Ran well here (vista 64, 1.6.0_35-b10).

I really enjoyed the game! A simple idea but implemented very well, thanks.

Ran just fine for me as well, I like it. Here are some minor points if you’re looking for constructive critisism.

• The animation for changing colour is too long.
  • The blaster sound is a bit annoying (maybe the player will get used to it after a while, I started to)
  • Perhaps I didn’t get far enough into the game but the gameplay didn’t change as time went on, I’d expect the gameplay to get harder as time went on, maybe some dynamic events or narrowing walls.
    [li]This is a positive note: usually I complain about score systems and the amount of points awarded but this scoring system seemed more balanced to me, maybe reduce the speed of points getting awarded by a little bit, but that’s a very personal feedback.

If this is your first game very nice work! I also see that this is your first post, if your new to JGO, welcome

It works ok for me (windows 7, 64 bit java 1.7.0_05-b05). Nice little game. A couple of comments:

1. When you die, have a button that says “Retry” that starts the game up again. As it is if you want to play again, you have to click a button, then get the high scores, then click another button, then click play.

2. Stick with a single font (You have arial for some of it and comic sans for the rest).

3. You might want to dampen/reduce the flames coming out the back when you hit space. It looks a little out of place.

4. It would be nice to have an easing function so that the ship doesn’t jump so much when you hit the engine.

5. One thing that would be interesting would be allowing the player to increase/decrease the forward thrust. The faster the player moves forward the faster the score increases, thus giving players the option to play faster (ans riskier) but to get more points out of it.

Nice game and welcome to JGO.

I think the crash on my side is linked to the fact that I have windows in french. you’re using :

DecimalFormat localDecimalFormat = new DecimalFormat("#.##");

in your code And I see in the javadoc that the dot is localized … should be a comma in french which then explains the exception when you try a Double.valueOf on the result.

Wlcome to jgo, I’ll try out the game when I have time!

Another thought…add Pause. I had finally broken a thousand when someone was calling my name, I ended up crashing it to talk to them. :slight_smile:

Ok, finally got to play it.
Nice music!!! ;D
Cool concept, rocket is a bit loud but it’s not that bad.

Extracted jar, now playing music in background :stuck_out_tongue:

I got the same error as deathpat.

Game freezes randomly after a few seconds (less than 30). No error messages, sounds keeps playing.

Is there a log somewhere?

Just run it through command prompt (java -jar “jarname”) and see if any exceptions pop up while you’re playing.

I like it, maybe try to get your ship to rotate in it’s direction. For example, if you press space, it evens out. Otherwise, it pencil dives into the ground. Nice job man; pretty fun