Applet Templates

There used to be some decent basic game loop/render templates on the java4k website and several other places, but all the links seem to be dead.

Any one recommend any particular one? Is there anything major changed about 1.7 worth noting in a change in the templates(as most I’ve found are very old)

As was in the 2011, any recommended 2013 applet templates?

I always have the absolute worst time getting the keyboard/mouse working with any of the templates, I mean they work, but movement is always super jittery constantly going between slow and fast. It’s quite annoying :frowning:

One of those audio templates crashed on me…

I’m currently using this for audio + per-pixel graphics (it’s adapted from various sources). It plays a simple melody and renders a 3D sphere using lambert shading. Ideally it would be better with a fixed framerate.

http://www.java-gaming.org/?action=pastebin&id=321

The main problem with old render loops is that they often don’t use AWT / Swing appropriately. Older games like Left4kdead flicker with every frame or don’t render anything at all in todays jvms/plugins.

So for posterity, I hope fewer people will be naughty in their AWT code, so that their game is playable in the next five years.