Anyone tried using/developing for an Android VR headset?

I’m talking about the “cheap” ones where you strap your phone into the front of the headset. I’m curious how good they are, and if anyone’s had any success at writing a 3D app for them?

Just to bump my own topic and be more specific, has anyone tried Samsung’s GearVR Framework (http://www.gearvrf.org/programming_guide/sample_code/)? I got it up and running very easily. I’ve only used it for a few hours, but it seems to have loads of good features for easily writing VR apps. Unfortunately the JME code for VR renders images upside down, and I couldn’t get LibGDX to work. AFAIK those are the only 3, unless anyone knows of any more Java-based VR frameworks?

If you wish to write your own graphics code, LWJGL3 has OVR bindings, Oculus’ SDK, which is what the GearVR uses.

LWJGL3 also has bindings for OpenVR, but that is not for mobile.

My brother bought a Samsung phone with the great VR headset and it’s cool! I haven’t developed for it but was impressed at how well it worked. He said there weren’t many good games yet and he hasn’t used it much. Few of the games are multiplayer as well apparently which is a pity.

I’ve only used Google cardboard and a phone with a gyro, but I think it’s amazing an really immersive, and writing apps/games is no harder than writing any 3D desktop app (which isn’t to say that that’s particularly easy of course :)). One thing that impressed me with the GearVR is that creating, say, a quad that shows the view from the phone’s camera (for AR), or showing a web page directly on a quad, is possible in just a few lines. I’m just trying to think of an idea for something to develop!