Android Emulator performance?

Hi.

Does anyone have any experience on how the emulator performs compared to a real phone? (Of course, there are different setups for emulators, and there are different phones…).

I’m measuring FPS on the emulator while running some very basic OpenGL rendering, and the performance isn’t exactly stellar.

It’s awful. Don’t waste your time with it, especially for OpenGL stuff (software rendering FTL).

Edit for posterity: have since discovered that it’s broken in scarily fundamental ways: Version 1.2 does not implement glGetFloat. Admittedly, it will log messages when you call it. The problem is that the message is “unimplemented API”, so not too helpful.

Ryanm has so right! The emulator works ok for widget-based stuff but openGL is a real mess. At the moment I’m developing an android game and testing this on the emulator results in about 3-4fps in contrast to 30-40 on the device (HTC Desire).

/facepalm; so Google didn’t learn anything from the damage that the awful J2ME emulators did to productivity?

Obviously not. It’s like the time you wrote your first gameloop in java2d, without understanding accellerated images, and thread handling. Stu…Stu…Stuttering. I run at about 8-10FPS on the emulator. Nifty…

shameless plug: if you are only interested in opengl es + android and want a fast development cycle might i suggest having a look at libgdx? :slight_smile: Develop and test on desktop (or deploy as applet, JWS, app) and seamlessly deploy to your Android device. Plus, you can now hook up your Android device with your desktop app for input events.

Hehe, I can only underline that! I use libgdx and actually I only use my phone from time to time to control that really everything is one to one. But I can’t remember there was a single time that was the case…libgdx really roxx!

JOGL 2.0 is going to have some sort of Android support and already works on mobile phones that use J2ME or J2SE For Embedded…

When will that be? Any links? ETAs? What about the rest of and Android application?