And the winner is ...

Good, fun, fair and deservable results :slight_smile: GG to all the games.

A great year, good job woogley !

must say the comp was very good this year and very enjoyable, well done to all the entrants.

I agree about the suggestion to have the judges place the games in an order for next year and skip the “give a score between x and y to each game” method. Anyway, as I said before; nice contest.

Also, will Java 1.5 be allowed next year? (So that I can start creating stuff.)

Congrats to the winners! However, I thought Ladybug would be up there as well…I thought it rocked :slight_smile:

-Chris

As the author of JSquares, I can say definitively that there are no special components that install, so I have no idea what he’s talking about. I’ts pure java, self-contiained in the jar. Maybe WebStart tried to update something and that took too long? Certainly wasn’t the game itself.

Response to: “nonnus29 (+63): This game didn’t make any sense, I think the ai was cheating…” nope, no AI cheating, just a good algorithm :slight_smile:

I’ll try to include better instructions next year, if I resubmit with more features.

As for my attempt at a Hold 'Em game, maybe I’ll get it working for next year.

Thanks to all the judges your comments were great. The entries were outstanding this year.

ChrisM, thanks for the comment on my Ladybug game. I was ok with the position that it placed in the competition, tied for 10th in score but 11th in postion. Guess I will need to make games that sort higher in the alphabet. :slight_smile:

But I was surprized at what games beat it, and at what games it beat. It looks like there is no consideration as to how much was squezeed into a game. Some very simple games made it to the top, while some very complex games were way down. Looks like you need a game that has very simple controls and that gives a game over in about 30 secs. This way it becomes what the judges call “addictive”, That is, I surely can do better than 30 secs.

Of course none of these comments apply to Miner a great example of what a 4K game should be. I certainly thought it deserved to win.

Congrats to all the entries. The best J4K yet. Can’t wait till next year.

I fail to see why there has to be a ‘winner’ at all.

Each game has its merits, and we all know which were most successful.

Are we so consumed by ego, that we require our work to be acknowledged and judged by our peers, so we maybe satisfied that we did a good job?

yes :wink:

because it’s a contest

if you cant get satisfaction from being in something other than 1st place, that’s kinda shallow… o_O

the ones that didn’t make 1st place aren’t ignored, but, again… it is a contest.

should be
as if you have1.5 installed, it will install 1.4. grr.

[quote=“Anon666,post:48,topic:26524”]
Well, yes.

“hey guys, let’s all make some 4k games” probably won’t be as popular as “hey guys, let’s see who can make the best 4k game”.

[quote=“mlk,post:51,topic:26524”]
The target JVM for this contest was 1.4. I certainly would hope that the judge was using a 1.4 JVM for testing. Otherwise we would have some definite problems with the judging on our hands.

Ah, yes, that explains a similar problem I’ve experienced - I have 1.4.2 installed, and a work app has 1.4.1 as its j2se version, so it installs JRE 1.4.1. Now I know, so in the future I will be sure to do it correctly.

[quote=“jbanes,post:53,topic:26524”]

The rules said it must run on 1.4… but were ambiguous at best if it meant ONLY 1.4. I interpreted that to mean that any release-version JRE that was at least 1.4 might be used for testing… since I think that is the most practical situation to expect of end users.

Hey,
I just wanted to say that I very much enjoyed playing all the 4k games. Miners especially (although it always crashes on level 4 start for me), but a lot of the others were very cool too.

Kudos to all the authors and the contest organizers. ;D

Congratulations to all the winners!!

I hope I could find some time to finish something next year.

I still play games on the list that are in the top 30 :slight_smile: You don’t have to be #1 to be good. There are still great games on the whole list, but I do feel the games are reasonably well sorted. Those in the top 10 deserve to be top 10, those in top 20 deserve to be top 20. That sort of thing. Even top 5 is PRETTY close to what I feel the majority feels, although a few got bounced out as has been discussed :slight_smile: